Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 02-14-2019, 04:39 AM

Default Using VEP6 with two Macs to offload CPU ??

Hi folks,
I am new on here and looking for some advice and I hope you can help me.

I have read about people operating on two computers and using VEP6 to host plugins in order to offload CPU.
I am hoping to be able to do this in order to create much larger Pro Tools templates and have more active plugins without the computer saying "no".

My home studio has the following equipment and I am hoping for ideas on how best to set this up to utilise the system to its full potential:

iMac 27" (Late 2012)
Mojave 10.14.2
3.4GHz Intel Core i7
32Gb RAM 1600 MHz DDR3
3TB Hard Drive

Macbook Pro 15" (Mid 2010)
El Captain 10.11.6
2.53GHz Intel Core i5
8Gb RAM 1067MHz DDR3
500Gb Hard Drive

Seagate 2TB External Hard Drive

Pro Tools 12.7.1

Digidesign 003 Console

NI Komplete Ultimate 16.2.5
Komplete Kontrol 88

EWQL Composer Cloud

Vast amount of Waves plugins along with various others

I would really appreciate some advice on whit computer should be the main computer and where certain plugins should be installed etc.
Am I correct in saying that I would need a Steinberg key on both machines for the VEP6 licence but I can have just one iLok with all licences on it linked to both computers?

Thank you.
James.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Using VEP6 with two Macs to offload CPU ??

I used to run VEPo 6 with the two Macs listed in my profile. The iMac I ran was the model previous to the one you have (mine has the dvd drive and your doesn't). I stopped using the combo when I had trouble getting the video card replaced in the iMac. Up until that time I had no issues.

I see you have two different OSX installs. VEpro normally likes to see both machines with the same level operating system but can function with two different ones. That is direct from Vienna support people. That being said El Crapitan is the worst OSX Apple ever released. Majority of people here that have run it have had issues and it's universally reviled for audio work.

There is no such Komplete Ultimate version with the number you state.

You only need one Vienna Key (I think the Steinberg key is the same) and that would go on the machine you designate as a server. When I got my setup I purchase two keys direct from Vienna so I could have a spare and also when I didn't want to run the iMac server (my 2012 MacPro was the client where I have PT installed) and I didn't have to move the keys around.

That brings up an issue. Each machine will only see the iLok or Vienna key that is plugged into it. The client cannot see the server's keys and so on. It's nice now that Composer Cloud no longer needs a physical iLok - you can install the license asset direct to your computer but it still uses the iLok framework. When I had my two machine system with Play on one and PT on the other I needed a second iLok as EW at that time didn't support machine authorization.

Which you designate as the server and client is up to you. I would make that decision based on a couple of things - where you have PT installed and which you're comfortable working on. Looking at your specs I would have the iMac as the client where PT is installed and designate the MBP as the server. Those hard drives in the machines - are they're not Fusion drives are they?

As to what plugins get installed where for the way I work I didn't do anything inside the VEPro server except for whatever instruments I used. All other than instrument plugins I ran inside PT on the client machine. That way I could make changes easily.

Get a good quality cat 6 ethernet cable to connect the two machines. That means you'll not be able to connect to the internet while running PT and the machines are connected. I got lucky as my MacPro has two ethernet ports one of which was connected to the iMac for VEPro work and the other variously either went to my printer or the internet (I don't run internet while working in PT). This brings up a conundrum with Composer Cloud as you need to connect once a month for license verification. I don't know if there are adapters to convert a port on either machine to a second ethernet port.

I'm sure there are things I haven't covered.

QAPLA!
Old 02-14-2019, 03:36 PM

Hello Musicman691,

Thank you so much for your reply.

That was one issue I thought could be a problem; the two machines operating different OS.
The problem is, I appear unable to update the MBP any further as it is so old.
The thought of selling both machines and buying two newer systems had crossed my mind.
Alternatively, investing in a custom built PC with tones of horse power??

I had read on VEP website that two keys would be required but that is good if I only need one.

They are not fusion drives I believe.

So, PT runs from iMac and MBP hosts say for example EWQL?
That should he enough to run that for sure.
Keep Waves and NI etc on iMac also?

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Ivan View Post
Hello Musicman691,

Thank you so much for your reply.

That was one issue I thought could be a problem; the two machines operating different OS.
The problem is, I appear unable to update the MBP any further as it is so old.
The thought of selling both machines and buying two newer systems had crossed my mind.
Alternatively, investing in a custom built PC with tones of horse power??

I had read on VEP website that two keys would be required but that is good if I only need one.

They are not fusion drives I believe.

So, PT runs from iMac and MBP hosts say for example EWQL?
That should he enough to run that for sure.
Keep Waves and NI etc on iMac also?

Thanks.
Something you may want to look into and I can't say for sure but it looks like you may be able to update the MBP further than El Crapitan. One source I have says it can be updated to the latest OSX but a lot depends on what video card is in there. Someone or another source more knowledgeable than me should be able to answer that.

Where to put Waves? As I said if you run like the way I do and want to be able to make changes easily in the mix then keep Waves plugins on the machine you have PT on. NI is another matter especially running Kontakt. In a two machine system I'd put Kontakt on the server machine along with it's sample library. What makes the NI ecosystem interesting is that there's a number of effects that can live quite happily on the machine you have PT on (again if you want to run like I do).

That is something only you can answer and that's how you want to work. There is no right or wrong way but at least for me and flexibility's sake I like to apply and effects inside PT.

QAPLA!
Old 02-15-2019, 12:26 PM

Thanks for that. I'll have a look into the MBP OS and see how far I can update.
As long as, between those two systems, I have enough power then I will give it a go.
I was just not wanting to fork out for VEP6 and it not actually make a difference to saving CPU!!
Old 02-15-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that. I'll have a look into the MBP OS and see how far I can update.
As long as, between those two systems, I have enough power then I will give it a go.
I was just not wanting to fork out for VEP6 and it not actually make a difference to saving CPU!!
Keep in mind that what I wrote about having the same operating system came straight from the people at Vienna. They also said it's not necessary to have that but that it could lessen whatever issues that may happen (as well as being easier for them to diagnose something should problems arise).

I think your bigger problem will be El Crapitan than the difference between OSX versions. As I said EC does NOT garner rave reviews for usage with PT.

QAPLA!
Old 02-17-2019, 01:21 AM

Yes, I will look into that on VEP website.

I suppose my main question is, if I can get the MBP to later OSX, will these two machines be enough horsepower to create big orchestral templates without overloading CPU?

Has anyone created large templates with a similar setup or can recommend a more effective setup?
Old 02-17-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Yes, I will look into that on VEP website.

I suppose my main question is, if I can get the MBP to later OSX, will these two machines be enough horsepower to create big orchestral templates without overloading CPU?

Has anyone created large templates with a similar setup or can recommend a more effective setup?
Depends on the size of the template. Also depends on how much you use Kontakt as it can be a cpu hog when using instruments that have a lot of scripting.

Something to keep in mind that we haven't discussed is what type of drive is used for sample libraries. You really want to have an ssd for that especially given that by default both Kontakt and EW Play engine stream from the samples drive. They can be set otherwise and that reminds me - when using Kontakt inside VEPro disable the Kontakt Memory Server in the preferences for Kontakt as VEPro takes care of that bit of business.

QAPLA!
Old 02-17-2019, 07:37 AM

Good tip thanks!
Old 02-18-2019, 12:48 PM

So, apparently I am unable to update my MBP as I do not have an up to date graphics card??
I then thought it would be as simple as buying a new card...no such luck...earlier MBPs can not be upgraded without this.