Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2002, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Question for those who\'ve built their own computer

Wow...I just got back to my computer this afternoon, and saw all of these replies. Everything has been helpful, and thank you all. I think what I may do is go to the complete replacement computer, learn how to do the full build, install, comfiguration, etc. That way, I may make the move over to WinXP on new drives, and then transfer over the recording software...assuming that PT 5.3.1 successfully loads 5.1.1 files? Again, thanks guys!
Old 09-03-2002, 08:31 PM

Try MAX BLAST plus from Maxtor(Even if your drive is not). It's free from Maxtor website
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/dow...st_plus_ii.htm

You can make an exact clone of your hard drive.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:35 PM

Sorry wrong answer... my fault.
You need one of your drive to be a Maxtor.
I did this op with an old Fujitsu drive and it works, but I have 2 other Maxtor drives inside.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:29 AM

I agree with it is best to start fresh. You can load a new drive with the OS and then hook up the old drive as a slave and copy or use important files as needed.

Jeff
Old 09-04-2002, 12:36 AM

Many copy protection schemes try and "ID" your computer by making a "fingerprint" of the setup/configuration. The idea is that if you then try to switch to a different computer it will recognize this and not authorize.

I hate copy protection, expecially this kind. It can fail even from a modest upgrade to the existing system.

As a result, depending on what software you are using w/ what specific protection your method may or may not work. In fact, you might end up worse off than before w/ something that you could never get authorized easily again.

These statements are general. I have little experience w/ most of the plugins in use here on the DUC w/ PTLE. However, I have read that some of them use this method.

I would think the dongles would be relatively safe though since they are designed to move from one machine to another in the first place, right?