Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2011, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Time to check other DAW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylG View Post
I would say that the first thing you should do is decide what PT doesn't do for you. then check out the other programs to see if they do it. Then ask Nuendo users who also use Pro Tools (for example) why they don't do everything in Nuendo. that will give you a better idea of where you should go with this.

i will say one thing though; I can see less and less reason to buy and Avid hardware, unless you are tracking many instruments at a time. Use 3rd party hardware and upgrades will be cheaper for whatever program you want to use.

D
I like the Omni. It sounds fantastic, and for small rooms or individuals it solves a lot of problems....pres, and most importantly...monitor control. Hard to beat at the price and with the current trade up deals.

Finally, if something goes wrong in the system, it's all by one source...I can go to Avid and troubleshoot the whole system, instead of hearing the software maker blame the hardware maker, and vice versa. Went through that went I used to own Nuendo and an RME. No thanks....

TH
Old 10-30-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lambrechts View Post
We should go over there and scream hell, devil , burn and bedlam and organize threads to complain about the lack of those features.
Possibly create a facebook page to let them know how disgusted we are for the lack of these ...
Hell let's organize a flight and go occupy their HQ and go on strike until they give us those features .....

I see what you did there.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-31-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbob View Post
I have 2 close friends who are grammy winning producer/engineers here in Nashville, they use Nuendo. There are also a couple of "household name" guys I know of that use Nuendo.
I've been a loyal Digi dude since the 888 days. I've made major hardware purchases and upgrades... procontrol/c24/3 sets of cards/6 IO boxes/2 Sync/digi plugs/PT software upgrades... on and on for over a decade.
My Digi nut has to be over $100,000. I've never seriously thought about jumping ship until now. Is it really time to get with Paczosa and pick his brain on Nuendo????
Get your crap together AVID!
I am checking constantly. Not because I dislike PT (The best IMO) but because I am interested.

Many other DAWs may have a lot of fancy features but they all lack one thing that I NEED more than anything else...

Consistency & Stability.

PT has that. Expensive or not.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
I am checking constantly. Not because I dislike PT (The best IMO) but because I am interested.

Many other DAWs may have a lot of fancy features but they all lack one thing that I NEED more than anything else...

Consistency & Stability.

Well put 25. IMHO other DAWs can kill PT with midi functions but do not even come close with their audio features.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
Well put 25. IMHO other DAWs can kill PT with midi functions but do not even come close with their audio features.
Hi ROn,

as a matter of fact I find PT's midi capabilities to far exceed that of others. They are hidden but there and I Love its midi capabilities. Not to confuse with VI capabilities ;-)
Old 10-31-2011, 11:19 AM

25ghosts,

I am soo on the same page as you. I am very familiar with other software options out there and have professionally used other software options. I have lost hours and hours of work and dealt with frustrating extremely buggy stuff in other sequencers (Sonar & Logic). I know Pro Tools isn't perfect, but from my experience, the stability is waaayyy ahead of its competition.

I have yet to find a DAW that auto-saves so seamlessly in the background. This has been an ultimate life saver so many times. I love knowing that the most I will ever lose is the last 5 minutes of a session. This has saved me time and money over and over again.

3rd party plug-ins (not instruments so much) are far less buggy in Pro Tools because 3rd parties often check to make sure they are flawless in Pro Tools. I dealt with issues of Waves Plug-ins in Sonar for years before any fixes ever took place.

When it comes down to the most important features of a DAW, I vote for stability and well integrated foundational features far more than half baked, semi-stable crazy features.

Regarding MIDI. I love Pro Tools Midi better than both Sonar and Logic's MIDI. Pro Tools has far more MIDI features than the average user is aware of. If you hate Pro Tools MIDI, you probably don't know it. Does it have all of the MIDI features available today? No. But it is more than good enough for doing complex compositions.

Before you jump ship, make sure the other ship is really what you think it is.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 10-31-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I have 2 close friends who are grammy winning producer/engineers here in Nashville, they use Nuendo. There are also a couple of "household name" guys I know of that use Nuendo.
I've been a loyal Digi dude since the 888 days. I've made major hardware purchases and upgrades... procontrol/c24/3 sets of cards/6 IO boxes/2 Sync/digi plugs/PT software upgrades... on and on for over a decade.
My Digi nut has to be over $100,000. I've never seriously thought about jumping ship until now. Is it really time to get with Paczosa and pick his brain on Nuendo????
Get your crap together AVID!
My gripe ain't over the software. I'm a PT lover. My gripe is with the company... which seems to be adopting the Waves business model from a few years ago.
And the fact that it matters not.... how much you have invested with DIGI/AVID over the years (as far as this current pricing is concerned). It almost seems to qualify as a penalty to have already invested over a hundred grand.
I'm blowing steam and most likely won't switch DAW but I sure as hell won't be upgrading hardware or software anytime soon.
I think it's good to remind AVID that amazing records are being made every day by grammy winners using other software. Don't you?
MacPro 8 core
www.btruitt.com
Old 10-31-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Consistency & Stability.

Quote:
Hi ROn,

as a matter of fact I find PT's midi capabilities to far exceed that of others. They are hidden but there and I Love its midi capabilities. Not to confuse with VI capabilities ;-)
+1 totally.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-03-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
My gripe ain't over the software. I'm a PT lover. My gripe is with the company... which seems to be adopting the Waves business model from a few years ago.
And the fact that it matters not.... how much you have invested with DIGI/AVID over the years (as far as this current pricing is concerned). It almost seems to qualify as a penalty to have already invested over a hundred grand.
I'm blowing steam and most likely won't switch DAW but I sure as hell won't be upgrading hardware or software anytime soon.
I think it's good to remind AVID that amazing records are being made every day by grammy winners using other software. Don't you?
I am exactly on the same boat. But to be honest I am going to give something else a try, at least as a back up plan. I'm setting up bootcamp and I am going to give Samplitude and Sequoia a run for their money (I've seen Sequoia in action and some features are pretty amazing). If it works then hurray! If not then I would slave for a HDX system . But after 10 years of solid Pro Tools loyalty (never gave Logic a chance), a Mix Plus System, and variety of LE rigs, etc, I just don't want to be forced to such costly upgrades anymore! And even more so in this current economic climate. Around here, productions are getting their budgets slashed, and I have to slash my fees to remain competitive. I wouldn't have given that much thought about this if we'd rewind 5 years ago. Back then money where thrown left, right and center! But know, everybody is counting their beans and so am I.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonis View Post
I'm setting up bootcamp and I am going to give Samplitude and Sequoia a run for their money (I've seen Sequoia in action and some features are pretty amazing).
This one has my curiosity piqued as well...
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!