Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-30-2015, 08:36 PM

Default HD Omni turning on but has no display

Hey guys,

About 2 hours into my work day, I tried adjusting the monitor volume on the omni and noticed that it was stuck and not changing. I then realized that none of the buttons were doing anything and it seemed frozen. I then powered down the unit and turned it back on to find no display at all. I restarted everything and powered on again without Pro Tools open and the power light switched from orange to green right away but still no display on the unit (usually the power light stays orange until pro tools is launched). Pro tools starts fine, so its still recognizing the unit, but nw I can't get any sound out and the display is dead. I tried switching power cables and even running on a different circuit and one time I turned it on and it the display came back but then when I power cycled once more the problem came back. Did this thing really just die on me? I've only had it for a couple years.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:28 AM

Default Re: HD Omni turning on but has no display

If its out of warranty, I would pop the top cover and reseat any connections feeding the front panel. Its likely a long and narrow PCB behind the panel and may have more than 1 connection. Maybe one has come loose, or maybe you're in a damp environment and its making pins and sockets oxidize

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-05-2015, 12:20 PM

Did you ever find a solution? Mine did the same EXACT thing, out of nowhere, today.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 09-05-2015, 11:33 PM

Guys, there is a know issue of backlight going down so please check it first.

So turn off the room lighting and take a very close look at the LCD panel. You should be able to see "something" happening there. If so, then there is a user setting for the backlight but I don't have OMNI so I don't know the button combination how to get there. Someone else will help you if this is the case.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:38 AM

A similar issue happened to my HD OMNI a few years back. You'll need to change the contrast of the display and then reset the unit. Turn the unit on then press SETUP, then rotate the PUSH CR/HP knob clockwise 14 indents, press the PUSH CR/HP knob and then rotate it until you can read the display again. Once you can read the display again, you can do the procedure to reset the unit: SETUP > rotate the PUSH CR/HP knob to RESET(13 indents) > press the PUSH CR/HP knob and select "SURE?". As a side note, you can shine a flashlight into the display to help read it when you change the contrast back. The contrast default is 20.

Keep me posted if this worked out for you.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-10-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
A similar issue happened to my HD OMNI a few years back. You'll need to change the contrast of the display and then reset the unit. Turn the unit on then press SETUP, then rotate the PUSH CR/HP knob clockwise 14 indents, press the PUSH CR/HP knob and then rotate it until you can read the display again. Once you can read the display again, you can do the procedure to reset the unit: SETUP > rotate the PUSH CR/HP knob to RESET(13 indents) > press the PUSH CR/HP knob and select "SURE?". As a side note, you can shine a flashlight into the display to help read it when you change the contrast back. The contrast default is 20.

Shane
Thank you! Have no idea why my contrast just decided to change, but Shane nailed it. Back to work!!!
Old 12-13-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

Shane
Thanks so much! just randomly had the same thing happen!
Old 12-21-2020, 06:25 PM

This little glitch just got me today. Shan, thank you for your procedure for restoring the display - works perfectly.

Sky

Mac Studio M2 Max 12/30/64GB/4TB, RME UFX III, Pro Tools Ultimate, MacOS Ventura.
Old 03-06-2023, 12:15 PM

Not a fix that works for me. (Contrast/reset)
The orange letters very bright in setup.
The green general info. barely readable.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:20 AM

hey DetroitT
Did you ever find a fix?
I have the same exact experience