How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2018, 05:12 PM

Default Waves Sheps Omni Channel/Track Freeze mega problem

Hi everyone,

I'm new here but have been using Pro Tools for 20 years now. I have encountered a major problem with my setup that's really throwing a wrench into my current mix. I contacted support a little while ago and they managed to (temporarily, it seems) rectify my issue by trashing preferences and making a new session and importing all the data from my seemingly corrupted previous session. That worked for a bit, but today as I am going in to finalize my mix, it's happening again. It's very frustrating.

I am using Waves Sheps Omni Channel on a bunch of guitar tracks. I dial it in all nice and then as I move on to other instruments, I tend to freeze those tracks to allow me enough processing power to run the rest of the tracks. Works well enough and saves me from bouncing/submixing tracks as I used to do. Now when I unfreeze the tracks everything looks fine on the tracks themselves, but my Sheps plugin sets itself to random settings and kills the whole sound. There's no way to get it not to do this, and I can't exactly import from a previous session as I am not 100% certain that the settings would be exactly the same as they were when I initially froze the tracks. It's really frustrating as I am unable to move forward with the mix as I can't tweak the settings further or go back. All I can do I suppose is trash prefs and rebuild again and again every time this happens.

Anyone experience anything like this? I have sent a message once again to tech support, and the same with Waves, but want to know if anyone else has any suggestions please and thanks?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.10
Universal Audio Apollo 8 Quad TB
Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo TB
Universal Audio Octo Satellite TB
Old 12-10-2018, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Waves Sheps Omni Channel/Track Freeze mega problem

Once you get the sound you want save the Scheps Omni patch as a preset and then when you re-open that session just recall the preset from within SOC.

QAPLA!
Old 12-10-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Once you get the sound you want save the Scheps Omni patch as a preset and then when you re-open that session just recall the preset from within SOC.
That^^^^ and/or, use either Track Commit, or Commit up to This Insert. When you do either, you have options on what happens to the source track. If you are happy with the sound, choose Hide and Make Inactive(you can still go restore if you need to and your plugin settings SHOULD be exactly as you left them). If you think you may do more plugin tweaking, just make the source track inactive, but leave it showing(so its faster/easier to access later on).

While I have that plugin(and like it plenty), for whatever reasons, I don't seem to use it much so I have not seen this issue(I also tend to not use FREEZE much out of personal preference).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-10-2018, 07:20 PM

Right... But these are just workarounds. I am mixing a whole album, so I want to import all my settings when I move on to the next and next song. I guess track freeze is just unreliable in general? I have had entire groups of frozen tracks spontaneously disappear off the edit window as well! So frustrating. I suppose I will stop using freeze until this gets sorted.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.10
Universal Audio Apollo 8 Quad TB
Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo TB
Universal Audio Octo Satellite TB
Old 12-11-2018, 02:44 AM

I tried track freeze when it came out and didn't like the functionality one bit. I haven't tried it since.

I suggest using the commit feature, especially if you are liking the sound you have dialled in?

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 12-11-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodmikey View Post
Right... But these are just workarounds. I am mixing a whole album, so I want to import all my settings when I move on to the next and next song. I guess track freeze is just unreliable in general? I have had entire groups of frozen tracks spontaneously disappear off the edit window as well! So frustrating. I suppose I will stop using freeze until this gets sorted.
If you're talking about importing the settings for the Scheps then saving things as presets within the Scheps is the way to go. The presets travel with the plugin. If they didn't then the value of plugin presets would be zero.

QAPLA!