Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 06-19-2015, 03:46 PM

Default Protools 10 unable to get external MIDI module working

Hi,

I have just purchased Protools, and am using v10.3 because PC is 32 bit. I have a Novation MIDI controller that is working fine, but I also have an old Roland MT32 that I want to use for some stuff, but I can't seem to get it working.

It's plugged into the MIDI out on my Tascam US-1800 interface, and audio outs are plugged into interface line ins 11/12. I added it in the MIDI studio setup, set the output to the Tascam and enabled all 16 channels. I created an instrument track, set the MIDI input to all, MIDI out to MT32 channel 1, channel input to line 11/12, and output to the main stereo out.

When I record arm the track and play a note on the controller, the MIDI meter shows action, but the MT32 shows no indication of incoming MIDI data, and no sound is generated. I can record the MIDI fine, but playing it back also doesn't produce any action on the MT32.

Strange thing is, I also have Reason on this computer, and it works just fine with exactly the same setup, so I know the hardware & connections are OK. There must be something I'm missing in Protools, but I just can't figure it out.

Can anyone help me please?

ROSCO
Old 06-19-2015, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Protools 10 unable to get external MIDI module working

Also, when I restart PT, it resets the output port setting to "none" for the MT32 in MIDI studio setup, and I have to go back in and set it back to the Tascam. Why would that happen? Could these 2 issues be related?

ROSCO
Old 06-20-2015, 08:51 AM

Could be that you are running a X64 program on a 32 bit system. I'm not an expert but I have run into this type of problem before. Since it runs on Reason with no problems, look and see what kind of differences are between the 2 programs. May be simple enough to locate the problem and fix it that way.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the reply wpawley. After many hours of searching, I found someone who said I should run PT as administrator. And that is indeed the solution! After I ran as administrator, I set the output port, and it worked. I then re-started NOT running as administrator, and it continues to work fine (and saves the output port)!

Weird, but at least it's working now.

PS: I wasn't able to install Protools 64-bit, that's why I'm stuck using v10.3, when I have a licence for 11 & 12. Time to fork out for a new PC methinks...

ROSCO
Old 06-21-2015, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoHead View Post
Thanks for the reply wpawley. After many hours of searching, I found someone who said I should run PT as administrator. And that is indeed the solution! After I ran as administrator, I set the output port, and it worked. I then re-started NOT running as administrator, and it continues to work fine (and saves the output port)!

Weird, but at least it's working now.

PS: I wasn't able to install Protools 64-bit, that's why I'm stuck using v10.3, when I have a licence for 11 & 12. Time to fork out for a new PC methinks...

ROSCO
Depending on the computer you have you might not have to buy a new one as you may be able to load a 64 bit operating system on it and run that. When you say PC without any qualifier I'm assuming Windows right? There hasn't been a strictly 32 bit cpu in ages.

QAPLA!