Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2015, 08:08 PM

Default Master Module FAN NOISE

Hi guys, my MM start to give me some fan noise. My room is all ways set to 22º Celsius. My MM also has start to freeze, without responding to any touch or buttom. It only works againa after a 're-start'. There is some troubleshooting I should do. Still 1.4 here.
-----
Old 07-25-2015, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Master Module FAN NOISE

I can't comment on the freeze, but the fan running was a issue a few of us had at one point. Logging out and logging back in to the user account (not turning in and off) gets rid of the problem.

After a few times, mine stopped doing it altogether.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:03 AM

Haven't tried it myself, but a friend of mine told me there's no fan noise if you shut down via software (settings>about>shut down), instead of button. I'm on 2.0 and there's no noise at all.
rcutz, I would reinstall the software to see if freezes continue after that.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:36 PM
Avid

The fan issue was fixed in v1.4. The Master Module App controls the fan so if its crashing/not running that could explain it. Are you definitely sure its the fan, there is some heat pipe noise sometimes but that's a different sound to a fan running.
Can you also check the temp of the MM CPU, if it goes above 85 then the fan would come on...maybe explain the freeze too. (Go to the surface page and touch the image of the MM, you should see the temp of the Window CPU as well as the module CPU)
Old 07-25-2015, 06:05 PM

Eddie, I switched to 2.0 couple of days ago. I was on 1.4 before that and the fan noise was there, temp fix being log out / log in procedure.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:32 AM

I had a MM freeze, where the touch display and entire surface became unresponsive while I was working, with no particular cause. Happened shortly after installing 2.0, I think the day after. I experienced one instance where the system booted and only partially connected to PT12. MM was unresponsive and its softkey displays remained blank while automation module softkey displays appeared and fader modules popped up to track values. Restart of PT and S6 resolved trouble. Otherwise S6 has been solid.

Fan noise, not since installing 1.4.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
The fan issue was fixed in v1.4. The Master Module App controls the fan so if its crashing/not running that could explain it. Are you definitely sure its the fan, there is some heat pipe noise sometimes but that's a different sound to a fan running.
Can you also check the temp of the MM CPU, if it goes above 85 then the fan would come on...maybe explain the freeze too. (Go to the surface page and touch the image of the MM, you should see the temp of the Window CPU as well as the module CPU)
I`m using v1.4 pratically since day one. This last week I experience some of those freezing and that noise... I will check the temperature next time I notice the fan noise. I can`t tell for sure if it is a fan noise, but it sound very likely.

I`m in a tight schedulle mixing like hell. What do you suggest:

1- Re-install 1.4
2- Goes to 2.0 (remembering I`m at 11.3.1)
3- Live with those issues until the mix is done?

@branko I all ways shut down throug the software. I only do the "hard" shutdown in this freeze situation

best
-----
Old 07-27-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
I can`t tell for sure if it is a fan noise, but it sound very likely
If it sounds exactly like the fan noise when MM is first turned on, then that is what it is.

Personally, I would reinstall 1.4. Maybe you'll be lucky and it will solve problem. I don't think you'll have to reset prefs or anything. I wouldn't install 2 yet because of a few differences in operation. No reason to switch until time to experiment with the changes.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:51 AM

It's strange. We have two S6 controllers and one still have the fan noise issue, although both has been updated to the 1.4. Maybe 2.0 will solve the other S6 too.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:46 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcutz View Post
I`m using v1.4 pratically since day one. This last week I experience some of those freezing and that noise... I will check the temperature next time I notice the fan noise. I can`t tell for sure if it is a fan noise, but it sound very likely.

I`m in a tight schedulle mixing like hell. What do you suggest:

1- Re-install 1.4
2- Goes to 2.0 (remembering I`m at 11.3.1)
3- Live with those issues until the mix is done?

@branko I all ways shut down throug the software. I only do the "hard" shutdown in this freeze situation

best
As you are mid mix you could try installing 1.4.1 again and keep an eye on things. The Master Module is really 2 modules in 1. The touchscreen being controlled separately but the MTMApp and then all knobs and switches around it controlled by a different cpu. Do both freeze or just one ?