Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-1999, 10:45 AM

Default Re: SoundReplacer,seen it ,used it and it sux..why??

Sounds good to me!

About using new versus old Apple APIs, this is why I'm looking forward to a OS X future. Because with an object oriented operating system like OS X this choosing the proper API is not an issue. When Apple updates the Open Panel, *all* apps will benefit, even the "two bit shareware apps" that Frederick mentioned. Please, I want to upgrade to OS X so badly, please Digi port ProTools to OS X!

(I also wish that Digi would release it's APIs to the public and let whoever wants to write a plug-in for PT do so. If Targon wants his Recycle rip-off, then he should be able to write it himself! But that's another thread....)

Frederick Umminger:
"This is clearly less than ideal and is an unfortunate result of the fact that plugins have no way of knowing where the session file is located."

That's strange. Why not? How are plug-in settings stored then? Is that handled by PT itself?

Frederick Umminger:
"Audio cannot be selected from the session because the plugin API and Pro Tools do not provide any support for this. We would have liked to have added this feature."

Maybe for the next version of SoundReplacer? Seems like it would be easy enough to get the PT guys to add an API for such a thing. I don't think I would use the feature myself though...

Also, the Recycle type of sound replacer described above sounds fine for small loops, but I think it would be entirely too cumbersome for whole songs, which is what most of us will probably be using it for. Sounds to me like the plug-in is well worth the money and I will definately be picking up a copy!
Old 10-06-1999, 02:17 PM

OK, now how about my info above? Comments please. Don't ignore me, sob, boo hoo etc etc!
Old 10-07-1999, 11:52 AM

Trombino-

The app does take care of the plugin settings.

Adding some features to the plugin API to tell the plugin where the session is, etc. would not have been a huge amount of work. The problem was that it was work for the app engineers who were totally swamped with midi and post features.

Joris-

These features would sell more copies of SoundReplacer, they would make the platform in general more attractive, and they would sell future plugins that would use them. The problem is simply the overwhelming number of things that need to be done. They cannot all be done at one. This year the priorites were midi, post, and host processing for an entry level system. Last year it was the Mix cards and NT. Before that it was 24-bit audio. These are all really big jobs and lower priority tasks get squeezed out. We have to prioritize because we have a finite amount that we can accomplish per release and if we squander that on the more minor improvements then our competitors will kick our ass.

Frederick Umminger
Digidesign Plugin Engineer

Old 10-08-1999, 12:42 AM

Frederick, thank you very much for your reply. I agree fully that some other stuff is way more important. I find it very sad however that a $1000,- digi001 seems to be more important than the TDM system. And according to digidesign it even sounds better than the 882/20 which is more expensive. This keeps me wondering. Still I could not live without my TDM rig
Old 10-08-1999, 12:44 AM

We use the best price/performance technology available at the time of design of our products. The 882|20 was designed long before the Digi001. Technology marches forward. There's not much we can do to change that.
Sorry,
Mike Rockwell