Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2016, 07:12 AM

Default Are server rack rails good for music gear?

Subject says it all. Does anybody know if rails from a server rack use the same hole spacing as musical rack rail?

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Are server rack rails good for music gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
Subject says it all. Does anybody know if rails from a server rack use the same hole spacing as musical rack rail?

Thanks.
All rack rails use the same spacing. See this page for specifics:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19-inch_rack

QAPLA!
Old 03-14-2016, 02:02 PM

If it's a 19" rack then yes. Be aware that server racks are available in greater widths.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-14-2016, 02:04 PM

As others have said, yes a server rack will work if it is 19" width. Just be aware that most server racks are very deep compared to typical audio gear, they might take up a lot more floor space than you want and/or be more difficult to reach into for access to the gear. It all depends on how much space you have. I had a 42 space enclosed server rack at one point and it was a monster, I think it was at least 30" deep. I ended up running rope lighting inside it so I could see when I was connecting things to the back of my gear.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 03-14-2016, 03:23 PM

Be careful what is meant by "rail". Almost all standard 19" server/IT equipment racks will have integral front (and often rear) rails with screw holes. When IT folks talk about "rails" they are often referring to fixed or slide out rails that go front to back in the rack to support a shelf or directly support equipment. Some if those rails are specific to rack depth or equipment being mounted. It is unclear from the original post egat exactly is being asked about.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:31 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all of the responses. I guess I should have been a little more clear. I may have access to some old server racks that are going to be thrown out. My thought was not to use them as is, but to take out the actual rails from the server racks and put them into a rack that I am building for music gear.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
If it's a 19" rack then yes. Be aware that server racks are available in greater widths.
There's only one other rack width I know of and that one's a rarety - 24 inches. I had some old Collins ham radio gear that went into a 24 inch wide rack. Rack depths - that's another matter and those can be all over the place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Be careful what is meant by "rail". Almost all standard 19" server/IT equipment racks will have integral front (and often rear) rails with screw holes. When IT folks talk about "rails" they are often referring to fixed or slide out rails that go front to back in the rack to support a shelf or directly support equipment. Some if those rails are specific to rack depth or equipment being mounted. It is unclear from the original post egat exactly is being asked about.
When I worked in aerospace we used those kinds of rails (fixed that bolted to vertical rails on the sides of the cabinet and sliders that bolted to the vertical rails that the equipment actually bolted to). Our equipment was so heavy we didn't dare depend on just mounting the equipment via the rack mount ears on the equipment. Most equipment these days isn't that heavy (except for the Shadow Hills stuff). And most racks nowadays don't have the ability to even use the stationary rails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
Hey guys, thanks for all of the responses. I guess I should have been a little more clear. I may have access to some old server racks that are going to be thrown out. My thought was not to use them as is, but to take out the actual rails from the server racks and put them into a rack that I am building for music gear.
If you're doing that make absolutely sure that the rails are even from side to side. Get one rail even a 1/16th of an inch off the other and you'll have trouble mounting things. I know because I ran into that here.

QAPLA!