Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2003, 01:15 PM

Default TASCAM Hardware surpassing Digi hardware

At AES, Tascam unveiled a Firewire Card for the DM24 digital mixer. They also recently came out with the FW-1884 Audio Interface.

The Digital Mixer has 24 inputs each with gate, EQ, and Compressor. It works as a Control Surface for PT. It has Antares and TC Works technology built in, and it now has the Firewire option to control your DAW.
The FW-1884 has 8 mic pres and works as a control surface for PT. All for about half the price of the 002.

Is it just me or are both of these products much better deals hardware wise than the 002 and the 002R. I know they charge more money b/c of LE and I know they lock you in by requiring the hardware, but I am seriously considering getting a Tascam product and recording with another product such as DP or Logic and buying a used MBOX. Then I would just move the audio over to PT. The DM-24 would be a nice addition to my aresenal.

I have never used other recording packages and I do not know if this process would be too tedious to do on a normal basis. Anyone have any thoughts? It would be nice for Digi to release some new hardware.

JLee
Old 10-14-2003, 02:22 PM

Default Re: TASCAM Hardware surpassing Digi hardware

If you have a 002 or 001 you could use the DM-24 0r the FW1884 right now,,they both suport HUI and MAKIE UNIVERSAL controler emulation so you can controle PT with them.You could use the ADAT and S/PIDF I/O as well as eight of the analogue I/O's,,the only part you wont be able to use will be the Fire Wire interface.