Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-04-2002, 01:13 AM

Default Unmuting a record enabled track on playback

We all know that when you record enable a track you can hear the input. (for example, a mic). But, when you play back, it gets muted, you cant hear it anymore. You can only hear it if you actually record. I like to do test runs before I record. Is there anyway I can bypass the muting of the track when I playback?
Old 08-04-2002, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Unmuting a record enabled track on playback

You have to switch to input only monitor. You need to use Auto Input in order to punch though.
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com
Old 08-04-2002, 01:43 AM

huh?!
Pretend I am an idiot because for a smart guy, I can be. Exactly how do I do that.
Old 08-04-2002, 01:56 AM

it's in one of the pull down menus, I'm not sure which one, but it's right there.

Keny
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
Old 08-04-2002, 02:06 AM

OH! I see, under "operations" or you can toggle with alt+k. Thats great now, I can hear myself.
But now I can't hear the audio already recorded on the track. I want to be able to hear the track as well. Am I asking too much?

this is why. Lets say I'm punching in between vocal takes. I want to hear the vocal take before the punch in so I can sing along with it and match the tone so that when the punch in part records, I have a better chance at singing a tonaly similar part. Get it? But it seems you cant do that. Is seems I can only get one or the other. Unless someone knows how. Help.
Old 08-04-2002, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by el matador:
We all know that when you record enable a track you can hear the input. (for example, a mic). But, when you play back, it gets muted, you cant hear it anymore. You can only hear it if you actually record. I like to do test runs before I record. Is there anyway I can bypass the muting of the track when I playback?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This ain't tape! Just record your rehearsals. It's all non-destructive so you won't lose the original take (unless you want to), and you can always delete the rehearsal takes later. Use a duplicate playlist to keep things organized so you know which takes are which. Who knows, your so-called rehearsal may turn out to be a keeper. I don't know how many times I wish I had been recording during a "practice run"! Sometimes magical things happen that just can't be reproduced easily.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 08-04-2002, 03:34 AM

If you want something like you suggest, you could create an aux-input set to the same input as your track to be recorded. This way you will ALLWAYS hear the input in the mix. The volume will vary though....you will record it alright, but sometimes you'll only hear the aux-buss, and sometimes you'll hear 'em both....

When you are done recording, jus delete the aux-track

Bastiaan
Old 08-04-2002, 03:26 PM

Yeah I tried the Aux input deal. Just like you said bastian, it works but the volume varies. I guess its the best I have at this point.
Old 08-04-2002, 03:39 PM

Did you know you can abort your recording by hitting escape instead of the space-bar or the stop-button?
This way the files that where recorded on that take will be discarded. So there's nothing wrong by recording over and over. If you completely mess up, hit the escape key, and no harm done (and no valueable discspace...)

Bastiaan
Old 08-04-2002, 04:51 PM

you can also hit control period for that.

myspace page