Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-24-2000, 11:52 AM

Default Can\'t Audition Crossfades, DAE Error -2804

When I select an area in preparation of a crossfade, hit command-F to bring up the fade dialogue box and click the audition icon to preview the fade, I am immediately presented with:
"DAE Error -2804."

After dismissing the DAE error dialogue box, the crossfade waveforms are constructed, and I'm presented with another error box stating:
"Audition of 24bit audio is not supported for the current HW setup."

When I dismiss this second error dialogue box, and accept the fade, it is successfully applied to the playlist.

I'm running a 24 bit session. I've tried running with and without the Digidesign Output Driver extension. The problem persists regardless of the crossfade selection length. This particular error is not listed in the Answerbase.

I would like to actually AUDITION the fade prior to accepting it, as stated in the manual, page 243.

Any clues?

Old 05-24-2000, 05:38 PM
Avid

Default Re: Can\'t Audition Crossfades, DAE Error -2804

The "Audition of 24bit is not supported for the current HW setup" alert message is due to the fact that Pro Tools LE uses Sound Manager (which only supports 16 bit) to preview fades.
I am currently investigating the DAE -2804 error. It is possible you do not have all of the necessarcy system extensions (namely the Open Transport extensions) installed and/or enabled in your active Extension set. Open the Extensions Manager Control Panel. From the selected set pop-up menu, select “OS 8.x or 9.x base” click on “Duplicate Set" at the bottom of the window and name the set whatever you like. Scroll down and enable the DigiSystem INIT, Digidesign DSP Manager, Digidesign Output drivers and the Open Music System Extension. Make sure that you have the Shared Library Manager and/or the Shared Library Manager PPC installed and then restart the computer.

Brent
Old 05-24-2000, 08:57 PM

i also get this error whenever i attempt an audition of 24bit fades.

uh,

why not just create an audition of a 16 bit fade to send to sound manager? we want to hear the fade quality, not neccesarily the sound quality.

sorry brent, but this seems like a no-brainer for digi to implement.
Old 05-25-2000, 01:48 PM

auditioning fades in a 16bit session works flawless (asssuming proper setup).

the solution is fairly clear:
in a 24bit session, while aditioning fades, digidesign needs to write a subroutine that would allow a 16bit version of the fade to be outputed to sound manager.
the only workaround i have found is to compile the fade, listen, and undo or go on with the fade.
i don't think this is to much to ask....
Old 05-26-2000, 12:18 AM

Brent -

I tried your suggested extension procedure to the letter, and both DAE error and "not supported" error persist identically. I also tried selecting both "built-in" and "Digidesign" sond outputs, still with identical failures.

In your reply you state:
The "Audition of 24bit is not supported for the current HW setup" alert message is due to the fact that Pro Tools LE uses Sound Manager (which only supports 16 bit) to preview fades."

Are you saying that LE simply doesn't support fades preview? The manual clearly states otherwise.

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2000, 12:19 AM

OK, I misunderstood the "Audition of 24bit audio is not supported for the current HW setup" message. Now I understand, thanks to coaster.

To expand on the remaining "DAE Error -2804," it occurs in an identical fashion even with 16-bit sessions. I cannot audition the crossfade at all.

My config is an upclocked beige G3 at 300MHz, 256MB RAM, O/S 9.0.4, running all the latest Digi updates.

Brent, any progress?