Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2021, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools gets smaller after playing a note on MIDI keyboard

Sorry, but I tried fixing it. I downloaded the Midi-Ox program, but it was to compex for me. So i reinstalled PT and decided to unplug the keyboard, because i only had to mix, and not play some stuff. And it worked normally, until i hit the table and it got small again. i didnt hit the laptop, or pushed any buttons, i was at the other side of the table. I could not explain that to myself. I reinstalled PT again, hit the table on purpose this time, and it collapsed again. I dont know what to do now.
Is it worth to call the PT support?
  • Windows 10
  • Pro Tools (Stndard version)(2020.12)
  • Interface: Steinberg UR242
  • Keyboard: Alesis VI61
Old 02-21-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytrox View Post
Sorry, but I tried fixing it. I downloaded the Midi-Ox program, but it was to compex for me. So i reinstalled PT and decided to unplug the keyboard, because i only had to mix, and not play some stuff. And it worked normally, until i hit the table and it got small again. i didnt hit the laptop, or pushed any buttons, i was at the other side of the table. I could not explain that to myself. I reinstalled PT again, hit the table on purpose this time, and it collapsed again. I dont know what to do now.
Is it worth to call the PT support?
PT isn't your problem. Your computer has issues.

Sooner or later you're going to have to deal with complexity with regards to PT or any audio recording. This ain't XBox or Playstation and sure as hell it ain't plug and play.

This is of course that you're not playing with us.

QAPLA!
Old 02-21-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytrox View Post
And it worked normally, until i hit the table and it got small again. i didnt hit the laptop, or pushed any buttons, i was at the other side of the table. I could not explain that to myself. I reinstalled PT again, hit the table on purpose this time, and it collapsed again.
The simple solution is to not hit your table (Just kidding). There must be something that bumping the table is doing to your computer. My initial thought is a loose cable or adapter. There might be a damaged cable (outside looks okay, but internally frayed of broken at the terminal ends. Try moving everything to a different locations without running cables behind or under your table and carefully reconnect things checking for a good snug connection.

Last week, my wife called me and complained that her computer was running really slow. It turned out that a cable was pressing against one of the keys on her keyboard. She has two keyboards (one on the laptop and an external USB keyboard). The cable was resting on top of the connected bu unused external keyboard. The point is, it may be something obvious but overlooked.

I would not suggest contacting Protools support on this. They can't fix tables.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 02-22-2021, 03:05 AM

I'm still going with display scaling - the only way that screen shot in the original post happens. If there is a mouse, hitting the table would cause a mouse event. My guess is 4k or QHD display panel scaled in Windows settings to > 100%. Razor is a gaming laptop. Don't scale the display by a percentage. Set the 'display resolution' to 1920x1080 HD.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1

Last edited by ChuckS; 02-22-2021 at 03:37 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I'm still going with display scaling - the only way that screen shot in the original post happens. If there is a mouse, hitting the table would cause a mouse event. My guess is 4k or QHD display panel scaled in Windows settings to > 100%. Razor is a gaming laptop. Don't scale the display by a percentage. Set the 'display resolution' to 1920x1080 HD.
I'm currently using (or trying to use) a Razer mouse on my cheesegrater. Every once in a while it loses connection with it's driver s/w and the custom settings I have go away. The worst is the mouse goes all crazy fast speed-wise. I'd put this on the computer.

QAPLA!
Old 02-22-2021, 05:30 AM

Razor is the computer - it's a brand of gaming laptops.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 02-22-2021, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Razor is the computer - it's a brand of gaming laptops.
I know. They make all sorts of gaming oriented products. I only have their mouse because it's supposed to last a long time as regards the switches.

QAPLA!