Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2018, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Will elastic audio ever get fixed?

ok i just don't get it.. I have been reading this topic scratching my head...

The biggest thing I am going to MISS about PT going to Cubase IS EA.

I use it every single day, in warp view, transient marker view, all the different styles, i auto quantize, groove quantize, manually move audio to snap to beat, none of the algorithms give me any issues...

In cubase i need to open a separate window, i can't do it on the main page and it's not as intuitive.

Yeah, i don't get it.. not only have i never had a crash with elastic audio, all the algorithms including x form sound great and i have never had any weird behaviour.

Not trying to discount the OP and others, but i don't get it.. What can I do to try and reproduce it exactly? there is something I am missing here.

PS the only x form issue i have is that when using the x form plugin in audiosuite, none of the algorithm choices make any difference to result, like transient sensitivity etc. it's completely broken in that regard but this has nothing to do with EA.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:00 AM

Logic's new Smart Tempo takes audio stretching and quantizing to new levels. I just tried it on some very complex material (solo piano, among other things), and it was near flawless. Tried the same test in PT and got the usual warbly audio loaded with artifacts. Maybe someday Avid will again get competitive in this area, but so many of us have raised our voices to Avid on this for the last five years, and it doesn't seem like this is something they care about.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
ok i just don't get it.. I have been reading this topic scratching my head...

The biggest thing I am going to MISS about PT going to Cubase IS EA.

I use it every single day, in warp view, transient marker view, all the different styles, i auto quantize, groove quantize, manually move audio to snap to beat, none of the algorithms give me any issues...

In cubase i need to open a separate window, i can't do it on the main page and it's not as intuitive.

Yeah, i don't get it.. not only have i never had a crash with elastic audio, all the algorithms including x form sound great and i have never had any weird behaviour.

Not trying to discount the OP and others, but i don't get it.. What can I do to try and reproduce it exactly? there is something I am missing here.

PS the only x form issue i have is that when using the x form plugin in audiosuite, none of the algorithm choices make any difference to result, like transient sensitivity etc. it's completely broken in that regard but this has nothing to do with EA.
Man I wish that was the case for me. What kind of material are you using it for? Grouped tracks?
Old 03-07-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Beat Detective is made for drums(although it can fix other stuff, to some degree). Use the right tool for the job at hand
+1.

I use if for short noted transient material as well. Both for bass and guitar.
Don't forget strip silence might also sometimes be a good alternative.

EA I haven't used for years. Could never get good results with it.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Vote here! Comments contain links to threads here at the DUC with sound tests, info straight from Avid and Izotope developers, etc..

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...a-tab-comments
Ugh... Six and a half(ish) year old post with 130 upvotes. I don't think they're going to be too concerned with it, but a boy can dream.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 03-07-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post

See, that's odd, because I notice a huge difference in the results when choosing different algorithms with the X-Form plugin. Perhaps we're just processing different material. I agree though, that Transient Sensitivity doesn't seem to do much.

The problem I have most often with EA is that after moving one warp marker, I have to consolidate the clip to get any of the other warp markers to work. If I don't consolidate, the other markers will move, but the underlying audio doesn't. The problem is random, it seems somewhat algo specific, and perhaps even somewhat specific to certain material (probably due to the amount of transients being analyzed).

I also see occasional wonky behaviour where the audio waveforms change in appearance and sound once EA is removed from a track, or the smearing of transients that other people have reported, or the random situation where the clip just won't process - it just stays greyed out until I consolidate, and then it magically processes the audio.

I wonder if Avid didn't maybe open a can of worms (with EA) that they weren't really prepared to have to deal with, as coding this kind of thing can't be easy (comparatively), and they don't seem to be devoting resources to fixing it, unless they are and just haven't mentioned it at all. Ever.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 03-07-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Man I wish that was the case for me. What kind of material are you using it for? Grouped tracks?
ahh no, individual tracks.

I don't do live multitracked drums by the way but have watched beat detective tutorials on those.

I use EA on vocals, guitars, and loops when i want to change the timing.

Sorry about that and not noticing the multi part. My apologies.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
Logic's new Smart Tempo takes audio stretching and quantizing to new levels. I just tried it on some very complex material (solo piano, among other things), and it was near flawless. Tried the same test in PT and got the usual warbly audio loaded with artifacts. Maybe someday Avid will again get competitive in this area, but so many of us have raised our voices to Avid on this for the last five years, and it doesn't seem like this is something they care about.
I can't get any of logic's algorithms to sound as good as x form.. complex pro is the closest but still behind.

I am trying it right now in 10.4.1

the avid mono algo is terrible true.. rhythm is great (just an auto slicer really) and the same as logic's rhythm mode (quality wise).

Just be thankful you are not using cubase timestretch for drums.. it's literally unusable, you have to hand slice and crossfade everything, it's the only way.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:32 PM

Try quantizing an acoustic piano track in PT, and then try in Logic with Smart Tempo on, difference is stunning. PT sounds like a wow and flutter fest, on every setting you can think off. I wish it weren't true.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
Try quantizing an acoustic piano track in PT, and then try in Logic with Smart Tempo on, difference is stunning. PT sounds like a wow and flutter fest, on every setting you can think off. I wish it weren't true.
no issues here.. Just played mini grand a bit out of time and used EA to fix.

Sounds fine.

Of course in x form mode only though.. poly is ok for preview...

I tabbed to transient also as a second test and moved to beats manually.. all worked fine..

Logic is a real POS if ever there was one.. I mean what's more important? Fundamental mixing that works? I think so.

Logic is the world's only DAW that plays ghost VI notes in empty space as well as delay and reverb tails..
let's not forget the fact that you can not use plugins with latency, i.e logic's pdc engine, and then have any *track* automation on time, whatsoever.
I mean those two are complete deal breakers.

rewire ableton into PT perhaps is the answer for you and use the elastique pro in realtime. Did you try that? Then render in PT and close ableton, bingo, project is still all contained in PT.