Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-20-2011, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HDX with current (old?) PCIe or PCI-X cards

Well, I'm interested to see what the upgrade path looks like this time. $1K for software is a pretty big incentive to bump up or incentive to stay where I am for the time being. I'm making pretty good sounding music on my current system.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
It won't run on a card, but it will run natively (on the host processor).

How about the other way around - how will a system with the new HDX cards deal with loading sessions from Accel systems that have TDM plug ins running?
Old 10-20-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-tone View Post
How about the other way around - how will a system with the new HDX cards deal with loading sessions from Accel systems that have TDM plug ins running?
TDM only plugs won't load. RTAS will work and if you've got AAX versions, they will.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
TDM only plugs won't load. RTAS will work and if you've got AAX versions, they will.
In that case, I hope that Avid will make AAX versions of their current Digidesign/Avid TDM only plug-ins and make upgrading those cheap or free. It will help the transition period between TDM and HDX systems go a lot smoother if they will at least make their own plug-ins compatible across the two systems.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:31 PM

Looks like Being an HD2 PT9 user going to HD PT10 I get a bump up to 256 voices according to the FAQ. That's a plus for me as long as all my TDM and RTAS stuff still works.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-tone View Post
So no backward settings compatability? ... So I cant load a mix into HDX that was created on PT9 HD to tweak one ride for example? Thats a pretty harsh reality - Am I going to have to have 2 systems running for a couple years to maintain that ability?

OR will the session / plugin settings transition to the AAX version? e.g. my Drawmer gate TDM simply opens the AAX version on the HDX system??? Much like RTAS / TDM settings translate now? To me this is a HUGE issue in moving forward.

Am I missing something?

Ainslie
Old 10-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Avid

Quote:
OR will the session / plugin settings transition to the AAX version?
Once there are AAX versions of the plug-ins, they'll open in AAX. Currently they'll open in RTAS if there's an RTAS equivalent.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Once there are AAX versions of the plug-ins, they'll open in AAX. Currently they'll open in RTAS if there's an RTAS equivalent.

THANKYOU so much for that answer DigiTechSupt. I hope backwards support in this way is a priority.

So its quite possible that a complex mix session I am working on today will open fully intact in 18 months time on my new HDX system as long as the equivalent AAX plugin versions are available. Hopefully the sonics will be really close - or even better. This support is so key to me in trusting AVID and taking the plunge.

This is also the reason i like to stick with the established plug makers (Waves, McDSP, Soundtoys etc ..and of course Digi/AVID) Hopefully they will all migrate in a reasonable timeframe. Actually their migration will be awaited before making the move....

Please Digi/AVID move all the stuff you distribute - not just your own - to AAX also (Drawmer, Aphex, BF, etc ..)

So now I am excited to get to this transition. i will start saving ..

Ainslie
Old 10-20-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AINSLIE View Post
Please Digi/AVID move all the stuff you distribute - not just your own - to AAX also (Drawmer, Aphex, BF, etc ..)
It seems inevitable that some older plugins won't make the transition, or that the upgrade path will be painful for those that bought them as part of bundles (e.g. MassivePack). But that wouldn't be the first time - price of progress I guess!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
It seems inevitable that some older plugins won't make the transition, or that the upgrade path will be painful for those that bought them as part of bundles (e.g. MassivePack). But that wouldn't be the first time - price of progress I guess!
So long as its ones I dont care about :) .. i do happen to have trashed a bunch of plugs from past incarnations - Prosoniq Orange (Dist by Digi at the the time) Lexiverb, MDT - fortunately I have forgotten and I survived ...

i think this time tho it will require keeping me the current TDM system in tact for a year or two after I get HDX for recalls ... it will be interesting to see what gets dropped.

A