Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-27-2008, 02:58 PM

Default Frustration

I have had a problem with the operation of ProTools since I started out with it using version 6.x and now that I have upgraded to 7.4.2 it has tagged along. When I left PT for Logic and another interface I had no problems (well none of the same nature anyway.)
The problem is that when I’m anywhere in the production process the program stops working and I have to switch the buffer size from 1024>2048 to get it to make any sound again, and that switch doesn’t make the problem go away entirely or forever its just a bandaid. And I find I need to do this more often now with the upgrade and just too often to allow me to get any kind of enjoyment in writing a song, which is sort of the point behind MY making music. As I said I have had no such problems with Logic and the Firebox I use with it.
Another problem I have with the new version is that there seem to be even more lockups for lack of CPU which really shouldn’t be a problem anymore now that the MBP has dual cores and I now have 4 megs of memory, so everything [should] be more than sufficient in that respect.
So all this leads me to believe that I either have a wrong setting somewhere in MBox2 or within ProTools.
Having said all of the above I’m not a very technical person so unless a solution to a problem jumps up and bites me on the nose I won’t come up with it on my own-so I need help.
Now I’m hoping that it is something very basic which I did or didn’t do, so if someone can suggest something without much more information that would be great. If not I would be happy(?) to provide what is needed.
I would really love to get a handle on this as I think I did some good work in PT and would love to do a remix on some of those songs, but its just so !@#$%^& frustrating.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Frustration

Have a look at the general troubleshooting thread. It's a mine of information on optimization tips. In particular, make sure you've not got anything running in the background which might 'kick in' and cause a CPU spike (e.g Airport/Bluetooth, AntiVirus etc).

General troubleshooting

PT/Mbox can also be pretty fussy about which USB port you use.

If you're still having problems, post back with full details including error numbers.

Help us help you - what you need to know before posting

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 06-28-2008, 08:02 AM

I will take up your suggestions and thank you for the input!
Old 06-28-2008, 09:32 AM

Phil, aside from using an early iMac 2.66, I also have an Mbox2 with the same problems as you! With one track, just ONE track, with Amplitube 2 witch is compatible with PT, I always get stuck with CPU issues...ALWAYS!!! The fluid workflow is gone!

I have Logic Express to compensate for this. If this continues...Pro Tools ready for Leopard..!? Yeah shure...

Maybe it´s our machines that are not ready for Pro Tools...

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

OS Sierra 10.12.2

Mac Mini 2,6Ghz Core i5
8Gb Ram
SSD 250Gb

External 2TB WD USB 3.0
Old 06-28-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Phil, aside from using an early iMac 2.66, I also have an Mbox2 with the same problems as you! With one track, just ONE track, with Amplitube 2 witch is compatible with PT, I always get stuck with CPU issues...ALWAYS!!! The fluid workflow is gone!

I have Logic Express to compensate for this. If this continues...Pro Tools ready for Leopard..!? Yeah shure...

Maybe it´s our machines that are not ready for Pro Tools...
Are you absolutely sure you've not got an incompatible plug-in. These can cause problems even if not instantiated. I recommend you check that you've got the latest versions.

You could test your third party plug-ins by temporarily moving them to the unused folder, clearing prefs, emptying trash and rebooting. Thereafter, put them back 1 at a time. Relaunch and run a PT test session on each occasion.

USB hubs are also often a culprit for these kind of errors. Make sure you're going straight into the iMac. As suggested above, try different USB ports.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:11 PM

Sorry, my post was to Icollen1. But I'm not ruuning any incompatible plugin. I also moved the Mbox2 to another iMac port, no hubs at all. The only thing also usb is my guitar port, but I never had any problems before. I need it, in order to run gearbox plug on Pro Tools...

I already removed all non digi plugins.

Still, things are not good.

My mouse is bluetooth...I'm trying to thing of everything!!!

I've two accounts, one just for Audio.

Lacie firewire 160gb...

When will i see the light?

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

OS Sierra 10.12.2

Mac Mini 2,6Ghz Core i5
8Gb Ram
SSD 250Gb

External 2TB WD USB 3.0
Old 06-29-2008, 04:02 AM

Quote:
My mouse is bluetooth...I'm trying to thing of everything!!!
That could definitely be an issue. What about testing with a USB mouse and Bluetooth turned off?