Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-14-2008, 11:20 PM

Default Import Session Data Question

Have been importing session data for a multiple song drum session to keep the setup consistent, but I have a question: Is there a way to have the New audio that is recorded not have the last take numbers from the previous session. I am deselecting the first two options when importing data, yet when I start to record, even though the labeling says just Kick, it shows Kick_04 etc. all through all of the tracks. The kicker is because I added new mics later in the session I am importing from it shows them as Hat_02, this gets confusing when doing multiple takes with playlists and I don't want to have to relabel each time after the first take in the new session. Is there a quick fix for this that I am missing? Thanks. Dual 2.5 G5 PPC, 4.5 gig ram, PT7.3cs5 HD3 Accel PCIx,(1)192.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Import Session Data Question

I am not in front of our Pro Tools system, so I can't check whether our system behaves the same. Could it be that you use the same audio folder for all sessions? That way, Pro Tools would be forced to chose different names.

Timothy
Old 01-15-2008, 08:13 AM

Not really. Pro Tools needs the numbers to distinguish takes from each other.

But you could select your new recorded takes in the Region List and use Auto Rename to relabel or renumber them however you see fit all at once before you begin comping. That should solve your predicament and not waste much time. (This will not rename the disk file, only the region name, but it's something)
Old 01-15-2008, 03:38 PM

After importing the session data, I've been making a point of quickly renaming the tracks BEFORE I record the 1st pass. To be honest it's a slight annoyance, but PT handles this process well and you get pretty quick at it...

Open the track name editor of the 1st track and then:

1. Right arrow (takes you to the end of the text window
2. backspace 3 times to remove the number
3. <cmd>+right arrow to go to the next track.

You get into a rhythm and I can rename 12 drum tracks in about 30 seconds max.

-Z-
Old 01-17-2008, 11:10 AM

If your doing this, you may as well use the new playlist function for all the tracks.
Just option click on the first track and choose new playlist that way you don't have to type all those names, protools will just increment the track name via playlist number. Plus you can always flip back and forth in each playlist with out having to spot edit all those takes. (If they are working to a click.)

wolfdavis