Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-30-2007, 07:41 AM

Default How to go Mac at the dawn of Leopard?

Since the death of my Windows laptop I have been using a desktop Windows box, but I use it for many unrelated things and am changing software on it too often to count on it when I really need ProTools to work without a hitch. I want an essentially dedicated audio machine and would like to go with a Mac.

Trouble is, the Apple Store near me is all out of laptops with Tiger. I had a Mac back in the days of OS9, but haven't spent a lot of time with OSX so thought I would ask all of you how one would go about buying a Mac for ProTools these days.

I considered buying a used one, or buying a retail copy of Tiger along with the new laptop - but figured I would check with the Mac family here on the DUC to see if there were an option I am not familiar with.

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Re: How to go Mac at the dawn of Leopard?

Yosemite,

Thanks for posting on the DUC!

At this point in time, you've really got three options:

1) Buy a Leopard Mac and if you have an MBox or MBox 2, it seems like Pro Tools is playing mostly nice with those systems (mine included). It's by no means supported or considered stable, but I've used it enough to say that it's working without skipping a beat on my system... save for the fact that it won't even see my 002 rack.

2) Buy a Leopard Mac and OS X 10.4 and reformat the drive and install a fresh copy of 10.4 until Leopard is supported - this could have you waiting for months in order to upgrade to Leopard. Not exactly ideal, but it would get you up and running on any Digidesign hardware that's out. Definitely the most stable and official option of the lot.

3) Wait for Leopard support and avoid buying anything for now. This option sucks if you want to enjoy the "Mac Experience" as soon as possible.

Hope that helps - doesn't seem like there is an clear-cut winner, due to the fact that the best option has you spending an extra $100 or so for the last version of the Mac OS... Have fun, and good luck on your new Mac adventure!
Old 10-30-2007, 08:35 AM

Often Apple stores will trade inventory. If you put a deposit down on a computer there, but ask that they get a Tiger version from another store, they may be willing to oblige.

They should be able to find out if other Apple stores still have Macs left with Tiger on them and arrange for one to be shipped to the local store.

You also may be able to get a free copy of Leopard this way - because you bought it "after" Leopard came out...it's worth a shot.

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...
Old 10-30-2007, 08:37 AM

Another thing came to mind after I had posted:

You might want to check the Apple Store's Refurbished Mac section for machines that still have Tiger installed. You can get great systems at discount that still have the exact same hardware warranty and are also eligible for AppleCare. This may be a great way to go at this point!
Old 11-01-2007, 09:07 AM

I ended up going with your last suggestion Josh. I called and ordered a refurbished MacBook from Apple. The tech on the phone was nearly certain that the system would ship with Tiger installed and Leopard simply in the box. If this turns out not to be the case I will try and pick up a used copy of Tiger, but if all goes well I should have 10.4 for now and 10.5 ready to install for later.

Thanks for all the advice Josh and lwilliam, looking foward to trying out Mac again!