Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2014, 07:51 AM

Default Saffire Pro 40, ADAT & SPDIF?

Hey guys,

So to start this isn't a 'Pro Tools' question, but more of a question to those that are more experienced with the Focusrite Mix Control. As we all know, getting answers from Focusrite is much easier on here I'm also hoping that someone else has their rig set up in a similar manner.

So first off, I'm not having any audio issues, compatibility, or anything so my complete system specs aren't necessary. What is though is what I have connected:

- Saffire Pro 40 clocked/locked via ADAT to my Octopre MkII. (check the first image for my Mix Control setup)

What I was trying to do, and did but it forces me to use a difference mix control preset, was connect my Wavelab/Nuendo rig via Spdif. I was able to get everything clocked/locked and get playback. Problem being that it seems the mix control is limited to 16 faders. Is this true? So when I want to use the Wavelab rig, I'm forced to chew up 2 channels out of my 16? ( check out the second image of my Mix Control setup)

This isn't a problem for now, but I can see it being a PITA when I get a new guitar amp emulator (Axe,11r, or POD pro) I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong here, I cannot see the Pro 40 being limited to 16 simultaneous inputs.

Cheers guys, appreciate the input. It'll all work for me, but was hoping it would be a little more user friendly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-01-04 at 7.26.37 AM.jpg (77.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-01-04 at 7.25.31 AM.jpg (75.9 KB, 0 views)
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 01-08-2014, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Saffire Pro 40, ADAT & SPDIF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
Hey guys,

So to start this isn't a 'Pro Tools' question, but more of a question to those that are more experienced with the Focusrite Mix Control. As we all know, getting answers from Focusrite is much easier on here I'm also hoping that someone else has their rig set up in a similar manner.

So first off, I'm not having any audio issues, compatibility, or anything so my complete system specs aren't necessary. What is though is what I have connected:

- Saffire Pro 40 clocked/locked via ADAT to my Octopre MkII. (check the first image for my Mix Control setup)

What I was trying to do, and did but it forces me to use a difference mix control preset, was connect my Wavelab/Nuendo rig via Spdif. I was able to get everything clocked/locked and get playback. Problem being that it seems the mix control is limited to 16 faders. Is this true? So when I want to use the Wavelab rig, I'm forced to chew up 2 channels out of my 16? ( check out the second image of my Mix Control setup)

This isn't a problem for now, but I can see it being a PITA when I get a new guitar amp emulator (Axe,11r, or POD pro) I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong here, I cannot see the Pro 40 being limited to 16 simultaneous inputs.

Cheers guys, appreciate the input. It'll all work for me, but was hoping it would be a little more user friendly
Not totally clear on what you need all of the channels for, but with 16 different mixes, the Saffire Mix Control is incredibly flexible. I really just use mine for monitoring and routing outputs.

When you run out of channels - can you not just start using others in another Mix assignment??

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-08-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Not totally clear on what you need all of the channels for, but with 16 different mixes, the Saffire Mix Control is incredibly flexible. I really just use mine for monitoring and routing outputs.

When you run out of channels - can you not just start using others in another Mix assignment??
That's where I was getting confused, I don't really 'NEED' all the assignments right now. I thought when I clicked on the mix tabs, I could set up various mixes and change up the inputs I can monitor. What I found though, if I set up a new mix and enabled my SPDIF input, it would change that input for ALL the mixes. Example:

Saffire ins 1 - 8 assigned to Mix Control 1 - 8
ADAT Ins 1 - 8 assigned to Mix Control 9 - 16
DAW 1&2 (PT out) assigned to Mix Control 17 - 18

- name that mix tab 'Monitor'

Setup alternate mix tab name 'SPDIF'
Saffire ins 1 - 8 assigned to Mix Control 1 - 8
ADAT Ins 1 - 8 assigned to Mix Control 9 - 16
Change DAW 1&2 to SPDIF 1&2

When I click back over to the 'Monitor' tab, it has also changed DAW 1&2 to SPDIF...I must be doing something wrong.

Really, I just wanted to be able to setup up all 16 analogue inputs, my SPDIF, and my DAW out in one shot. This way when I'm using the rig in a live situation for recording or in the studio, I can do a quick check of all the inputs individually to ensure I'm getting a good input sound pre-Pro Tools. What I've done now, is set up another template that I use for SPDIF and another for my Analogue inputs.

What I've done now is basically what you're describing, which will work for my wife and I recording in the studio. I'm thinking of moreso if I end up in a situation where I want to track 18 inputs, and be able to check my pre-DAW input quality with using more than just the meters. I'm not a big fan of monitoring in Pro Tools, but that may be my best option.

Mix Control is so versatile, that I find it a bit confusing. I'm just trying to wrap my head around its limitations as to not to put myself in a possition of awkwardness with a client :P
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 06-27-2014, 05:16 AM

Hi, I know this is a slightly old thread but I am in exactly the same situation.

I use a Saffire Pro 40 and Octopre Dynamic hooked up together via ADAT to give me 16 channels but now I also want to bring the SPDIF channels in to play (as I regularly use up the channel count yet Mix Control looks to be limited to 16 graphic fader channels plus 2 more which is typically used for the DAW input so I don't want to lose those by switching them to SPDIF.

I use Mix Control extensively for numerous different mix set ups and I like the way it works but I agree it does look to present the issue you have. I'm looking in to it and will post here is I find anything, thanks also to
Old 10-08-2014, 09:16 AM

What if someone wanted to use and monitor (through Mix Control) all 24 channels?

i.e… 8x analog inputs, 8x ADAT 1 inputs, and 8x ADAT 2 inputs… (even adding another two via S/PDIF) so thats 26!

Might not happen but, surely, if the interface is capable of recording 24… or 26 inputs then would it not make SENSE for Mix Control to be able to monitor and route all input channels available?

I have the Liquid Saffire 56 and ART TubeOpto8… and if I wanted to ad another 8 channels via ADAT 2, Mix Control would be useless to me for that, I guess… unless I'm mistaken.

Rosco
Old 10-14-2014, 08:17 PM

Was looking over this thread again and noticed a couple of things. I have MixControl 3.4 on both pc and Mac and I can actually have 8 different stereo mixes, not 16. Yes, the sources for each fader will be the same for each mix, but I have 18 mono faders, or 9 stereo, or any combination available. So you should be able to monitor the 8 onboard pres, 8 ADAT pres, and stereo S/PDIF. If you're using a Saffire 56, you wouldn't be able to monitor another ADAT separately in addition. So there is a limit.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7