Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 07-24-2015, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Allen & Heath GL4000 Mixing Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I think the Presonus is the most widely used products in this category (lower-end but very capable digital live mixers) that I see being used. Mackie are the other obvious place to look (but I have some serious concerns about Mackie ASIO audio drivers, and poor Mackie support that I'd stay the hell away.. Presonus tend to get a good wrap for support).

I am not the right person here since I don't have any real experience with any of these exact mixers. I know several folks who use a Presonus StudioLive for live and rehearsal and they have no complaints. My Son's school uses them for rock band work, they work great, remote control on an iPad is critical there. Where they will get dinged is they are just not equivalent to a good preamp/good mic pre's if what you want is really a recording interface. I've got close to just purchasing a StudioLive 16 several times just for practicing myself.... I make do with a old cheap small analog mixer when needed.
I had and sold a Presonus 16:4:2.

Features are pretty good. Ease of use is really good. Sound is meh. It's not great but it won't offend anyone.

My biggest gripe was the anemic analog output levels. Driving a +4 device to 0VU downstream of it required pushing the living hell out of it.

Overall, you could do a lot worse. It's a good value.

I'm thinking about picking up the Allen & Heath, but I haven't tried one to know how it stacks up in terms of the stuff I didn't like much about the Presonus.

EDIT: Oh, and Darryl, while they're obviously much better and your point is valid, neither of these boards is gonna come in under $500 like the GL he's looking at! :)

Last edited by V5V; 07-25-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:01 PM

Default Allen & Heath GL4000 Mixing Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangoportland View Post
Hello PT Experts, I found a Allen & Heath GL4000 board for sale, does anybody know if it is too old to be routed into PT 11? I think I can get it for about $400, but it is about 20 years old.

What interface would you need to get 48 channels off that board into PT 11?

Is it junk or is it worthy?

Thanks for any input

If memory serves me right, it has balanced direct outputs and balanced insert points, so you could use it for recording individual channels.

However, i fear that analog cabling costs more than the board itself, and as said, if you want 48 individual channels into PT you will need either current (PT11/12) HDX/HDN or older HD-TDM (2 cards, PT10 or older). Either way, you will need 3 interfaces that have 16 analog inputs each, or 6 interfaces that have 8 analog inputs each. These will cost way more than the board even if you find them 2nd hand.

Overall, it would be cheaper to invest more to the board itself. Having digital outs saves a lot on interfaces and cabling.