Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-22-2006, 06:36 AM

Default Busses and sends - session template advice

I would really appreciate some advice on my session template for a short film I am working on:
The final output is a 5.1 theatre mix, and I want to be able to pre-mix my tracks to a degree, whilst still leaving it fairly open for the mixer to "get back in" if needs be. I want to cut all my tracks in the same session (bar the foley which someone else is going to do)

So planning to have a 5.1 Atmos bus, a 5.1 Crowds bus, a 5.1 FX bus, and a C dial bus routing back into the session as Aux Inputs, before heading back out.

I am sending a variety of stereo and mono tracks to these buses and I will use the volume automation on the tracks, with the panning automation on the send output window...

Is this way too over the top/too simplified/totally off the mark?

Also I don't want to do that thing where you change the outputs or something and lose all your automation (I've seen it happen to others, but not really understood why)....what is that?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2006, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Busses and sends - session template advice

Quote:
So planning to have a 5.1 Atmos bus, a 5.1 Crowds bus, a 5.1 FX bus, and a C dial bus routing back into the session as Aux Inputs, before heading back out.
Of course, the number and types of bus assignments depends on how much DSP you have and if you’re on a Mix or HD system. Here are my thoughts on the FX stems:

I usually split my non-sync FX (backgrounds/atmosphere/tone/whatever) into two stems and name them as follows:
  • AMB – Ambience. The general atmosphere/ambience tracks.
  • BG – Backgrounds. These are sounds such as birds, walla (as long as there is no identifiable words), traffic, or any other sounds that I may want to separate from the ambience tracks.
This allows the mixer a bit more control when the director wants to bring the water fountain down but doesn’t want to lose the city sounds. (I assume this is kind of what you plan on with your “Atoms” and “Crowds” busses). Also, if the scene requires, I’ll split the BG stem into BG 1, BG 2, etc.

For sync FX tracks 1 stem may be enough for most scenes, but there are times you may want to add more. For example, in a car chase scene you may want FX 1 to be all the car engine stuff, FX 2 to be the crashes and explosions, FX 3 to be gun shots and FX 4 to be tire screeches.

Don’t forget to an FX X stem for the M&E versions. These tracks would fill in the holes when the dialogue tracks are removed.

I’m sure others have other opinions…

"I bent my wookie"
Old 07-12-2017, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Busses and sends - session template advice

Hi Members,

Looking at this older post I would be interested if anyone could advise into setting up Dolby Atmos correctly for 5.1 or 7.1 or provide a usable sound or
post production styled template.

Regards