Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2006, 01:17 PM

Default Waves version 4 and PT7.1: the truth please!

In a previous thread "Waves platinium bundle v4 with tiger and PT 7?" Wolfgang Eller claimed that Waves Platinum version 4 works with PT7. I have now been able to verify that claim and can confirm that as far as I can see this is absolutely true. I am on OSX 10.4.3 and PT7.1cs6. I have run many former sessions containing Waves version 4 plugins and they all work as they should. I have run test sessions with heaps of version4 plugins loaded with automation and everything works as it did with my OS9 versions.

The Waves site says that version 5 is needed for HD7, digidesign is unclear about it, at least I could not find any information. I called a Waves representative and asked him in person and he emphatically stated version 5 is needed. When questioned about the findings that 4 seems to work he became extremely evasive saying he heard rumours but it "should not work"!

Testing has however shown that it does work and that there is no fundamental reason why waves 4 should not continue to work in PT7 (I trust of course that no cs or other update will cripple this functionality).

I consider WUP bad enough, but to give incorrect information to unsuspecting customers apparently in an attempt to force them to upgrade, and hence for many, pay high WUP fees I find unacceptable.

1. Waves come clean and tell us the truth.

2. Digi please get to the bottom of this. As Waves is one of your development partners you should care whether or not they are telling their clients the truth.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Waves version 4 and PT7.1: the truth please!

Quote:
[…] 1. Waves come clean and tell us the truth. […]
That blue “thing” in the corner? That’s me, holding my breath.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 05-10-2006, 05:51 PM

Just for your info, I've got PT 7.1cs7 running on OS 10.4.6 on a G4 Dual 1GhzMDD and I'm using the TDM Platinum bundle 4. I haven't upgraded(WUP has been quite a turn off) so I'm missing a few extra features that have been added along the way but other than that, I believe the Wave Shell is version 4.4(excuse me if I'm wrong, as I'm not near my PT rig). I'm also still running an HD3 non-Accel system. I may take the leap to the next version of PT(whatever that may be) and upgrade my WUP at that time also. I just haven't seen the need to upgrade as of yet. This I realize will change soon.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:21 PM

I'm on V5 and 7. However... remember when V5 was supposed to give you support for delay compensation? Even though V4 supported delay compensation just fine?

ahem.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I'm on V5 and 7. However... remember when V5 was supposed to give you support for delay compensation? Even though V4 supported delay compensation just fine?
It's my understanding that with v4 and delay compensation, some plug-ins were not entirely accurate. In addition to complete accuracy, v5 will give you tempo syncing for delays and lfo's, as well as a number of bug fixes.

STeve
Old 05-12-2006, 02:23 AM

Quote:
In addition to complete accuracy, v5 will give you tempo syncing for delays and lfo's, as well as a number of bug fixes.
What a bummer for almost $700 WUP (in my case).
Old 05-12-2006, 07:08 AM

Hmm..

I have dual 2Ghz G5 and HD3, and it wont work.
Everytime I start try to start a Waveplugin it crashes PT.

Is there a newer waveshell than 4.0.1X, and if, where can I find it? This is what came from waves when I downloaded Gold v4 today.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:03 PM

Found it in the waves folder...

Everything works fine now
Old 05-13-2006, 03:12 PM

Not keen on the whole wup thing over here. Waves Platinum V4 works fine for me alongside PT 7 and all of my other completely up to date, but reasonably priced plugins.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:35 PM

So if I'm understanding this correctly:

1. Waves, Inc. claimed that their V4 software would not work in PT 7, and that those customers not enrolled in WUP would have to pay fees to receive V5 software that would work in PT 7.

2. V4 does work in PT 7, which means:

A. Waves, Inc. possibly didn't know it would work in PT 7, are quite surprised that it does, and are very sorry about the mistake.
B. Waves, Inc. possibly did know that it would work in PT 7, but they love $$ so much that they lied and said it wouldn't work so people would pay for unnecessary V5 software upgrades.
C. Waves, Inc. possibly did know that it would work in PT 7, but felt that customers would believe the new graphics or 1.0 ms of improved automation accuracy (or delay compensation, etc. etc.) are worth the hundreds or thousands of dollars paid for V5 software upgrades.

It's possible that options "A," "B," and/or "C" constitute grounds for class action lawsuits. It's hard to say....for example, could a lawyer prove that Waves, Inc. knew that the software would work but mislead customers by claiming it wouldn't?

Keeping speculation in hypothetical terms, what do you think?