Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 11-17-2020, 02:48 PM

Default Asking for feedback on build

Hi all,

(Sorry if this is in the wrong thread but I'm happy to move it to the correct place).

I'm finally upgrading my Pro Tools rig currently running PT10 on an MBox 2 Pro after about a decade (!). I have been reading the forum and documentation to put a build together but I have been out of the game for a while. I was hoping for some feedback to make sure this build seems compatible, and that I haven't forgotten anything. Also is 32GB sufficient or is 64GB warranted?

Thank you so much in advance!

Rob

Software
  • Pro Tools Education Upgrade (I work at a school)
  • Waves plugin upgrade
  • BFD3 upgrade
  • Windows 10

Hardware
  • Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 8i6
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K 3.6 GHz 10-Core Processor
  • CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard: ASRock Z490M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
  • Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case
  • Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Old 11-17-2020, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Asking for feedback on build

Nobody can guess what you need with no idea what you are doing/size of sessions you work on, etc.

Memory is relatively cheap so I'd personally go with 64GB. But that's me. Is that exact memory on the qualified list for that motherboard? Not meets the spec but actually on the list?

Is your internal 2TB NVMe SSD is large enough to store Windows, all samples *and* sessions? Or do you need to add another NVMe drive? Don't go putting sessions and samples on slow external drives. But either way I would consider putting two NVMe drives inside a PC, and say boot off one and maybe have sessions on the other, gut then back each other up to the other in case one fails.

I did not see external backup drives or backup software in your list.

Systems optimization is critical, make sure you get all of them, including BIOS settings, and make sure you are on top of the current threads here about CPU priority and affinity optimization... can make a huge difference in stability.

Hopefully you will be running Pro Tools 2020.11.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:09 PM

And make sure you are up to date on the mother thread http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426
Old 11-17-2020, 03:22 PM

I'd probably go with a Gigabyte MB. GPU?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 11-17-2020, 06:29 PM

Don't skimp on the PSU. This one's Titanium and fanless (and pricey): https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-prim...-235-_-Product
Click for resume
Old 11-17-2020, 06:53 PM

OP

I will be that guy. If you are not forced to upgrade right now I would definitely wait to see what Intel does in response to the latest AMD Zen 3 CPU releases. AMD has really improved the single core performance - which is often a bottleneck for DAWs. It is rumoured that Intel will have a new CPU launch Q1 next year. It looks like you are spec'ing a fairly high end system, there should be a very good improvement bump in the next Intel releases to match AMD.

I have attached a PassMark comparison for reference - while not a DAW benchmark a reasonable surrogate. So, right now, I think AMD has a much better price/performance option if you need that power, but if you can wait a few months Intel must launch a response - which will be good for everyone here.

YMMV, Hope that helps (confuses).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PassMark.JPG (40.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-19-2020, 01:10 AM

Thanks for all your detailed comments! I have responded below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Nobody can guess what you need with no idea what you are doing/size of sessions you work on, etc.
I don't think my sessions are too large. My most recent session had 26 concurrent audio track + inserts, 3 virtual instruments, 4 MIDI tracks, and 3 reverbs.

Quote:
Memory is relatively cheap so I'd personally go with 64GB. But that's me. Is that exact memory on the qualified list for that motherboard? Not meets the spec but actually on the list?
Good point! I upgraded to 64GB and swapped in an exact memory chip on the motherboard list.

Quote:
Is your internal 2TB NVMe SSD is large enough to store Windows, all samples *and* sessions? Or do you need to add another NVMe drive? Don't go putting sessions and samples on slow external drives. But either way I would consider putting two NVMe drives inside a PC, and say boot off one and maybe have sessions on the other, gut then back each other up to the other in case one fails.
Sorry, I didn't include an internal 4TB WD Black drive that I already own. I was planning on booting off the SATA drive and having samples and projects on the NVMe to save a little (for now) of buying a second NVMe drive. Do you think I would have a huge performance hit by running the OS on the SATA drive?

Quote:
I did not see external backup drives or backup software in your list.
I have a NAS with which automatically backups.

Quote:
Systems optimization is critical, make sure you get all of them, including BIOS settings, and make sure you are on top of the current threads here about CPU priority and affinity optimization... can make a huge difference in stability.
I'll need to look at this. My PT optimization knowledge is for Windows 7 (since I couldn't successfully get my MBox Pro 2 + PT 10 to run in Windows 10)

Quote:
Hopefully you will be running Pro Tools 2020.11.
I believe I would be. I think the "academic" license corresponds to the license only and not a different software version.

Quote:
And make sure you are up to date on the mother thread http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426
Searching through here, I'm not seeing any Z490 chipsets that are Micro ATX.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:12 AM

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
I'd probably go with a Gigabyte MB
I'm looking at the smaller Micro ATX form factor and I think the latest chipset is Z490. The only Gigabyte motherboards with those chipsets have note that "one of the M.2 slots is reserved for future use and is non-functional." I may be misunderstanding this, but it seems like a negative since I might want a second M.2 drive later on.

What is your preference for Gigabyte? Any other brand recommendations? I see Asus coming on the motherboard thread and that's what I have now.

Quote:
GPU?
I was going to use the on-board graphics (for the time being at least). I am not running 4K video and don't use the computer gaming. I figured I could save some money here and get a GPU later. Is that an issue?

Quote:
Don't skimp on the PSU. This one's Titanium and fanless (and pricey): https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-prim...-235-_-Product
That is quite nice indeed! What is the main selling point in that one for you--the titanium or the fanless? I've been reading that the Titaniums are efficient and have high quality parts, but I think I don't fully understand the advantage vs. cost.

Last edited by milet22; 11-19-2020 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Added a quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejinbc View Post
If you are not forced to upgrade right now I would definitely wait to see what Intel does in response to the latest AMD Zen 3 CPU releases.
Thanks for sharing that! That chart is little painful to see

I actually was initially leaning towards the Ryzen 12 core, but it looked like Avid only officially supports Intel(?). I saw on the forums that people definitely have AMD systems, but I was nervous about investing in an entire system built around processor without official support. Is that a fair assumption?

I would love to wait to see what Intel does, but I need a new computer by January so regrettably it isn't the best timing.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milet22 View Post
Thanks!

I'm looking at the smaller Micro ATX form factor and I think the latest chipset is Z490. The only Gigabyte motherboards with those chipsets have note that "one of the M.2 slots is reserved for future use and is non-functional." I may be misunderstanding this, but it seems like a negative since I might want a second M.2 drive later on.

What is your preference for Gigabyte? Any other brand recommendations? I see Asus coming on the motherboard thread and that's what I have now.
***My current Gigabyte build is ancient, but still works great & has always been a solid workhorse. That's why I'd consider Gig over others for my next build. I'd check Gig again for MBs that are compatible with that chip. Maybe micro ATX is limiting your choices? Why micro? Also, get built-in Thunderbolt 3 (or 4 or USB 4?) if possible. PCI-e 4 if available.

I was going to use the on-board graphics (for the time being at least). I am not running 4K video and don't use the computer gaming. I figured I could save some money here and get a GPU later. Is that an issue?
***Cool. Let us know if the on-board idea works out.

That is quite nice indeed! What is the main selling point in that one for you--the titanium or the fanless? I've been reading that the Titaniums are efficient and have high quality parts, but I think I don't fully understand the advantage vs. cost.
***Titanium is the highest rated and most power efficient. Fanless is silent. My rig was starting to throw occasional BSODs and one of my case fans was not spinning. I suspected the PSU was dying, so I upgraded to that expensive Seasonic one. Problems fixed immediately. BTW, it has a 12-year (!) warranty, so I'll use it in my next build.
Click for resume