Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2015, 12:09 PM

Default Old versions of installers

I only recently purchased an upgrade to PT 12 (perpetual license upgrade) less than three weeks ago. I noticed the alert here that 12.4 was available, so I went into my account and downloaded it.

So far so good. I haven't installed it yet, but I'm sure the installer is fine. The problem is I noticed I only have a link to the most recent version. 12.3.1 is gone.

All my other legacy installers are still there (even if I can't use them as I surrendered the license), because they are separate items in my products. 12 is just part of the Annual Update Plan. Is Avid going to allow access to legacy installers? I save all installers, so I'm not worried right now, but what if I needed to roll back and hadn't archived the installers? 12.3.1 was available for less than a month.

Anyone else notice this?

By the way, I am really enjoying seeing how Avid have ramped up the updates, making the update scheme worthwhile. It does give me confidence they are turning the ship around.
Antelope Audio Discrete 8 SC
Old 12-23-2015, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Old versions of installers

I'm trying to find the installer for 12.3.1 too before I install 12.4 incase I need to revert back...

I installed 12.3.1 with the Avid Application Manager but it seems to erase the files once you install them? Unless they're still on my HD hidden somewhere?
Old 12-23-2015, 02:52 PM

FWIW, I keep an external hard drive that holds nothing but installers. Everything I download from any company gets moved to that drive and I run the installers from there. I still have the installers going back to 9.0 and the factory disks going back to 6.1(which is where I came in)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-23-2015, 03:20 PM

Yep..just like "Dave" said;
Keep your software installers in a safe place.
And yes, 12.3.1 is no longer posted.

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 12-23-2015, 04:52 PM

I have kept the old installers myself, I am just concerned that if I blink, I might miss the update that I need. I can foresee circumstances when an engineer is too busy to download and deal with a new installer for a couple of months, and the new installer disappears, which was the last installer that supported their OS.

If I have links to PT 8LE and PT9 still available in my account (I can't use 9 as the license was surrendered for 11), why can't I access and choose installers a month old on a perpetual license?

I have no complaint right now, as I have been careful to always keep the installer, but it is a worrying trend being set for the future.
Antelope Audio Discrete 8 SC
Old 08-13-2016, 10:09 AM

Default How to re-install ProTools 9

I tried to upgrade to El Capitan with Protools 9 and had a disaster. My hard Drive with the time machine backups failed.
I had to erase my hard drive and re-instal Snow Leopard 10.6 to get my computer running again.
I need to re-install Protools 9, but cant find my system ID. It says it may be in use already.

I saved the El capitan Time Machine backup, but it scrambled the program and put several driver files into a new folder called " incompatible software."

What can I do to get Protools 9 running again? I no longer see the option to load it from my account at Avid.

Please Help!!
Old 08-27-2016, 03:12 PM

Default Re: How to re-install ProTools 9

Touchette

Are you running Pro Tools 10, 11 or 12 on anything else. If so, you had to surrender the license for 9, get a new iLok 2 and that would explain everything.

If you did not upgrade to Pro Tools 10, 11 or 12 and did not surrender your license, I would write Avid and ask about it.

The last thing about Pro Tools 9 is I do not believe it runs with OS X El Capitan but with OS X 10.6.x and maybe 10.7.x but I am not sure as I tap this out. So if you are trying to run it on El Capitan that might be your problem there.

I hope this helps and on last thing; did you search the knowledge base at Avid for answers. There is a Pro Tools version with which Mac or Windows operating system it works with chart toward the bottom of the DUC homepage towards the bottom. Check that out, too.

Good luck,

CTG
Old 08-27-2016, 03:44 PM

Default Re: How to re-install ProTools 9

Welcome (back) to the community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchette View Post
...I need to re-install Protools 9, but cant find my system ID. It says it may be in use already....
...What can I do to get Protools 9 running again? I no longer see the option to load it from my account at Avid...
If you are referring to your redemption code, that is only used once (to add the product to your Avid account and/or deposit licenses in your iLok account). I see a "Pro Tools 9..." product in your Avid account products (same email address used here in the community) and if you click on the product name then click Show you'll see your 9.x installers.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:09 AM

Download each and every version and store the installers in a safe place
Old 08-30-2016, 06:16 AM

Who doesn't do that?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.