Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-14-2010, 03:39 PM

Default System hangs when activating inserts

I've been having a problem for a while now, and haven't been able to track it down. When I open a large 5.1 session I have about a 60% chance of the whole computer hanging (mouse freezes, no force quit, no nothing but a hard reset). Protools will open, but when the session starts to load, when it gets to activating inserts, the system will hang. I have updated all the plug ins, I've set all the system prefs according to the "do this stuff first" post. I have done a clean install of the OS, Protools, and plugs. This all started when I upgraded to 7.4.2cs4 from 7.2, and bought a 4th HD card. I've tried removing the new card and opening a session, same problem. Re seated all the cards, same problem. Any insight would be appreciated.
Mac dual 2 gig, 10.5.8, PT 7.4.2cs4, HD4, Magma PE7R4, Sync I/O, 192, Mojo, Firewire PCI card for drives, built in firewire for Mojo, Waves 6, Altiverb, HD Pack, TL Space, RND plugs, Massey Plugs, Surcode PL II encoder.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:36 AM

Default Re: System hangs when activating inserts

bump
Old 01-17-2010, 10:38 AM

Last bump
Old 01-17-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD Productions View Post
I've been having a problem for a while now, and haven't been able to track it down. When I open a large 5.1 session I have about a 60% chance of the whole computer hanging (mouse freezes, no force quit, no nothing but a hard reset). Protools will open, but when the session starts to load, when it gets to activating inserts, the system will hang. I have updated all the plug ins, I've set all the system prefs according to the "do this stuff first" post. I have done a clean install of the OS, Protools, and plugs. This all started when I upgraded to 7.4.2cs4 from 7.2, and bought a 4th HD card. I've tried removing the new card and opening a session, same problem. Re seated all the cards, same problem. Any insight would be appreciated.
Mac dual 2 gig, 10.5.8, PT 7.4.2cs4, HD4, Magma PE7R4, Sync I/O, 192, Mojo, Firewire PCI card for drives, built in firewire for Mojo, Waves 6, Altiverb, HD Pack, TL Space, RND plugs, Massey Plugs, Surcode PL II encoder.
Hi,

Try opening the session whilst holding down the shift key! this will disable all plugins in the session. now start to enable the plugins (command+control+click) one at a time and see how the session performs. this will tell you if its a plugin causing the issue which is 99% of the time the cause.

Can you run other sessions ok? is it just this one session? you could start a new session and use import session data to create a new session incase of session corruption.

could also try without any external drives connected!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the response! I'll try your suggestion. Unfortunately, it's not just one session that does this. It's any large 5.1 session. It's also not consistent. I have about a 40 to 50% chance of opening any of these sessions. Many times, I'll be able to open a session, then I'll close it, and try to open another, only to have it crash while activating inserts. I do suspect it's a plug in, but all my plugs are up to date according to Digi's compatibility page. I have my suspicions about Altiverb being the culprit. I have the most recent version though.
Thanks again.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:26 AM

Hi Charles,

did you resolve this matter?
I'm experiencing the same problem after upgrading and installing on a brand new system (pt9hd)
Old 07-22-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakie View Post
Hi Charles,

did you resolve this matter?
I'm experiencing the same problem after upgrading and installing on a brand new system (pt9hd)
Ya... Did you?