Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-09-2019, 09:47 AM

Default help purchasing controller monitors

im a lil confused on purchasing a monitor controller to control the volume output of my speakers and headphones...so this is my setup i have a tlm 102 mic going into a avalon m5 mic preamp going into a lynx e44 pcie sound card.. so my next purchase would be a monitor controller...as of right now i have a pair of krk rokits 5 but will be purchasing the yamaha hs8 very soon...i also have a pair of avatone mp1 headphones&ath-m50x to check my mixes..

so my question about monitor controllers are...do certain monitor controllers colour the sound in any way? i mean do cheap quality monitor controllers add extra noise or color than expensive high quality builds?... im really just trying to get the true sound coming out my lynx e44 card without any extra effect or color to it...i just need a controller monitor for my speakers and headphones and with a mono switch and no ad/da converstion since the lynx e44 have built in ad/da converters... any recommendations?
Old 03-09-2019, 11:27 AM

Default Re: help purchasing controller monitors

What's your budget? I like this one: https://www.presonus.com/products/Central-Station-PLUS
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 03-09-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
What's your budget? I like this one: https://www.presonus.com/products/Central-Station-PLUS
my budget is about 800$ but i really want the sound to be very transparent and true..does the central station come with both hardware modules or is it just the smaller module?
Old 03-11-2019, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yl956 View Post
my budget is about 800$ but i really want the sound to be very transparent and true..does the central station come with both hardware modules or is it just the smaller module?
Per the linked page it comes WITH the remote. What's a bit disappointing is it uses an external power supply from the description. Kinda sucks but it make UL/CSA certification easy.

QAPLA!
Old 03-11-2019, 08:53 AM

I would second the Presonus CS as the least expensive controller with a transparent signal path. You won't find anything else in that price range with a passive, switched level control.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-11-2019, 11:50 AM

I am also a fan of the Central Station, but have some extra info that you should be aware of:
#1-the older version used a PSU that connected with a 5-pin XLR. Those are not available if they fail, so avoid the early version(later/current uses what looks like a laptop brick and connector and can be replaced).
#2-most of the audio path(except the digital ins) is passive, so coloration is essentially zero.
#3-at very low volume(lower than I would ever listen), the image shifts off to the right side(happens on every CS I have ever used and I have owned 5 of them). Not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of
#4-make sure you get all the TRS connections pushed all the way in(if you don't, you will likely have a phase issue)
#5-the digital ins are really handy(optical out from computer connects easily and sounds great, leaving your interface for PT, only)

So, its not perfect, but beats everything in its price range(and its a great deal if you find the later version at a low price)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-11-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I am also a fan of the Central Station, but have some extra info that you should be aware of:
#1-the older version used a PSU that connected with a 5-pin XLR. Those are not available if they fail, so avoid the early version(later/current uses what looks like a laptop brick and connector and can be replaced).
#2-most of the audio path(except the digital ins) is passive, so coloration is essentially zero.
#3-at very low volume(lower than I would ever listen), the image shifts off to the right side(happens on every CS I have ever used and I have owned 5 of them). Not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of
#4-make sure you get all the TRS connections pushed all the way in(if you don't, you will likely have a phase issue)
#5-the digital ins are really handy(optical out from computer connects easily and sounds great, leaving your interface for PT, only)

So, its not perfect, but beats everything in its price range(and its a great deal if you find the later version at a low price)
#3 results from a ganged pot that isn't matched for both sections. That's happened ever since the old Fisher, Marantz and such stereos from back in the 50's and then some. Don't ask how I know

QAPLA!