Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 04-28-2017, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Big News from Reason. 9.5 with VST hosting!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofarm View Post
That's what I thought John. Thanks!
Let's hope propellerhead themselves will let this happen with 9.5

Oh I had missunderstood. Sorry for that as I thought we were talking about the DAW as a DAW but lets see what happens as i have heard something at Namm so ... fingers crossed and again sorry for the confusion.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-28-2017, 08:20 PM

Well, I just had a chance to see the video on this. I see no reason (no pun intended) why Rewire won't work. It looks like ANY VST pluing in the rack will be able to have their audio outputs routed wherever you want, including Rewire outputs back into Pro Tools. Even better, you can take any of your AAX plugins that also have VST versions (like Waves, for example), and have use those IN your Reason rack as RE as well. So imagine using a VST version of say, Serum, add some of your favorite Reason FX in the rack, maybe some other plugins and then sending it back via Rewire to PT for your mix. THis is going to be HUGE!!

While this won't make Rewire a 2-way street, which is what I've wanted to see forever, it is the next best thing! I'm really looking forward to this.

I'm going to make sure I've got the VST versions of all my favorite AAX plugins also installed to take advantage of this one. This is a big WOW!:coo l:

Old 05-04-2017, 07:12 AM

Sorry folks!! From the horse's mouth
Old 05-04-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofarm View Post
Sorry folks!! From the horse's mouth
Thanks - you just saved me the upgrade fee to Reason 9 from R8. This would have been my tipping point to update to R9.

QAPLA!
Old 05-04-2017, 08:43 AM

You've got to be freaking kidding me! That's a MAJOR disappointment. What possible reason could there be for that?

Been asking the P-heads for years to make Rewire a two-way street. Never got any real answer as to why it isn't already. Now, they make the biggest announcement in years, something we've all wanted since they opened up RE's to 3rd party developers, but, oh, sorry you can't use that in Rewire.

Face to palm. Why? Why? Why?

Old 05-04-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
You've got to be freaking kidding me! That's a MAJOR disappointment. What possible reason could there be for that?

Been asking the P-heads for years to make Rewire a two-way street. Never got any real answer as to why it isn't already. Now, they make the biggest announcement in years, something we've all wanted since they opened up RE's to 3rd party developers, but, oh, sorry you can't use that in Rewire.

Makes absolutely no sense. Say you cook up a great sound with Screamer and Reverberate vst and a vst tape echo in Reason standalone and you can't use that while in Rewire slave mode?

QAPLA!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:

This is a bummer. I started using Reason in 2001 with version 1. I last upgraded to 6.5 and have not updated since. I was seriously thinking about it until this...

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-04-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Makes absolutely no sense. Say you cook up a great sound with Screamer and Reverberate vst and a vst tape echo in Reason standalone and you can't use that while in Rewire slave mode?
I'm not getting this. Like all other modules in the rack, once you've put a VST in the rack, it has a mix channel with it. ALL mix channels in reason have the ability to re-route the audio output. So what diff does it make if its routed internally to another Reason module or out to Rewire? Why would that make it work any differently than routing any other RE in a Reason rack to Rewire outputs?

This is just a huge disappointment!

Old 05-05-2017, 04:44 AM

Quote:
I'm not getting this. Like all other modules in the rack, once you've put a VST in the rack, it has a mix channel with it. ALL mix channels in reason have the ability to re-route the audio output. So what diff does it make if its routed internally to another Reason module or out to Rewire? Why would that make it work any differently than routing any other RE in a Reason rack to Rewire outputs?

This is just a huge disappointment!
I wonder if something like this would work:
vst in Reason; route the output of the vst to a Reason effect and set the Reason effect mix control to zero if it has one; route the output of the Reason effect to a mix channel.
It would use the Reason effect as a buffer if you will; IOW it would be like using Blue Cat Patchwork directly in PT to host a vst.

QAPLA!
Old 05-05-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I wonder if something like this would work:
vst in Reason; route the output of the vst to a Reason effect and set the Reason effect mix control to zero if it has one; route the output of the Reason effect to a mix channel.
It would use the Reason effect as a buffer if you will; IOW it would be like using Blue Cat Patchwork directly in PT to host a vst.
I doubt it. I think what this means is that if you open Reason in slave mode, you won't even be able to load in a VST. I don't think it has anything to do with how you route the sound.

I don't see what the issue is, though, in the first place. VST's can be loaded into Reaper while in slave mode...I do it all the time. It even automatically bridges any older 32bit ones (like reFX Vanguard). So there can't be any real technical issue with hosting a VST while in slave mode. Or, at least, the additional programming required to make that work can't be all that difficult as Reaper has had that ability from day 1.

I'm told that Ableton doesn't allow VST hosting while in slave mode either.

Would be nice to get a plausible explanation as to why though. The P-heads have to know that a large number of their users use Reason in slave mode inside their DAWs all the time. Denying VST hosting to them makes no sense. How many others like yourself, Jack, will pass on buying the upgrade because of it? They'll lost a lot money in sales they won't get because of it.