Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-23-2008, 05:34 AM

Default Re: Best TDM reverb

I like Princeton Digital as well - Especially the Stereo Room
Old 12-23-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Hi Tim,

I have to agree that Revolver's IR factory IR lib is not very good. But then again I never found any of the Factory libs of the other convolution reverbs to be all that.
Wow, really? Honestly I'm amazed with the quality of the Audioease Altiverb library. They have an amazing set of post reverbs, churches, halls, all gorgeous. Planes, trains, caves, stadiums, etc. I'm shocked if you don't think the Altiverb responses are the best out there. They also have the largest library by far, things like mausoleums, underground water cisterns, outdoor, etc.

I have all the Acoustics.net ones for IR-1, and they're fine, but the Altiverb ones sound better to me. If I had to have only one reverb period, absolutely no contest, it would be Altiverb.

Revolver has potential, I like the interface and their controls, but yeah, unusable with the responses they have, at least for me.

Now the one thing I still haven't heard is a good 'forest' reverb, seems nearly impossible to get a good outdoor impulse. Which makes sense when you think of the physics involved, so many reflective surfaces, etc.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:34 AM

Hi Tim,

like I stated in the first post here. It was not until Acousticas released their IRs that I started using convolution reverbs exclusively.

Thus, I was never convinced by the sound of any factory library. But IF I had to chose a factory lib it would be waves' over Audio Eases.

To me many of the Alitverb Factory presets are simply just wet. But opinion of reverb is a very broad topic. So there is no need for you to go into shock over my liking to the waves factory lib.

I too, would bring along AV to that Island - but the impulses traveling with me would come from Acousticas and not from the Factory IRs of any of the convolution reverbs.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:25 PM

Can TL Space load Altiverb libraries?
Old 12-23-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA View Post
IMO Revibe is very useful asewll as TL Space; both of which could be found very cheaply these days (Both TDM and RTAS).
Revibe RTAS?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
Can TL Space load Altiverb libraries?
Only some, but not all. The really good ones (syndy Opera House, EMT140, Cello's Echo Chambers, etc) are somehow encoded so only altiverb can use them.

It's a shame too, because the demo doesn't really come with any of the really good IRs... So you have to buy the program to really hear how great it is. That happened to us at the studio I work at. I've used altiverb before at other studios and was sold on it. Our chief engineer wanted to do a shootout...so he downloaded all their demos (Waves, Altiverb, TLspace, etc...) He ended up chosing TL Space over altiverb because he liked the sound of the stock presets better... Then a few months later he went to NAMM and sat at the audio ease booth for about an hour, just completely floored by the sound of the IRs that come when you buy the software...

The next week we ended up buying Altiverb for the studios and continue to use it almost daily. It's not the end all be all though... We have Revibe here too. They are completely different animals and sometimes one will work better than the other. But we use both A LOT.

I am interested to check out the VSS3 since I LOVE the M6000 so much. I've been wanting to buy the hardware version for years!