Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-26-2019, 08:30 AM

Default Unable to play audio using Shuttle mode (SOLVED)

Hey

I've always used Shuttle mode, using the numeric keypad to scrub audio, but for some reason it stopped working and I have no idea why

This is what happens: I only hear a short blip of the clip audio and then the transport controls just blink afterwards and pro tools kind of seizes up for a couple of seconds depending on how long I've held the numbpad down. Either no audio is playing or it just repeats the initial samples.

I trashed preferences and it didn't help. Has anybody else experienced this?

SOLVED:
make sure your mechanical keyboard does not use a key-repeater function if your using Shuttle mode.

Last edited by onosendai; 02-27-2019 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Solved it
Old 02-26-2019, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Unable to play audio using Shuttle mode

Review preferences. Pretty sure there is a checkbox that allows audio during FF and RW. If you recently trashed prefs, it would probably default to unchecked(good time to review other settings there as well)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-27-2019, 06:24 AM

Default Re: Unable to play audio using Shuttle mode

Hey Albee,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried and I actually found out Shuttle mode works independetly whether that option is ticked or not. It's only relevant if you use the transport controls directly.

I found the problem after a painful process of downgrading to 2018.10 and back, total plugin nightmare. I ended up testing usb hubs, reading manuals and shuttling with my old apple keyboard and the last one worked(!?). So I eliminated it to be my mechanical keyboard (Coolermaster Pro L), which is a gamer keyboard and it apparently has a key-repeater function that I had somehow activated. Activation is not discernable unless you enter a custom keyboard state that lights certain keys.
So whenever I held down a key like one does in Shuttle mode I was spamming Pro tools with x8 the input that would increase continuesly with the time a key was pressed, which is what made it completely fall over and stop working.

SOLVED: make sure your mechanical keyboard does not use a key-repeater function if your using Shuttle mode.