Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2017, 12:25 PM

Default any workflow "workarounds" for lack of automation trim in vanilla?

I got to say, i think this is silliest omission ever, even cheap daws have trim. In Logic, I was used to just grabbing a little fader on the track header and dragging it up or down (well a numerical number actually) and it would move all automation on the track up or down.

Now.. if i select all the automation on the track, and manually try drag it, it doesn't work.. which i was hoping the workaround would be. Anyone know?

For volume I could use a vca and lower it, as that does everything relatively automatically. But that will only work for volume. Thankfully volume is usually what one wants to trim, but still.. any suggestions are appreciated.

or avid, just add trim in 12.9 please! I can't believe i considered upgrading to HD for 1900 i don't have lol, just for trim. There's nothing else in HD i need. Not one thing.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:19 PM

Default Re: any workflow "workarounds" for lack of automation trim in vanilla?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I got to say, i think this is silliest omission ever, even cheap daws have trim. In Logic, I was used to just grabbing a little fader on the track header and dragging it up or down (well a numerical number actually) and it would move all automation on the track up or down.

Now.. if i select all the automation on the track, and manually try drag it, it doesn't work.. which i was hoping the workaround would be. Anyone know?

For volume I could use a vca and lower it, as that does everything relatively automatically. But that will only work for volume. Thankfully volume is usually what one wants to trim, but still.. any suggestions are appreciated.

or avid, just add trim in 12.9 please! I can't believe i considered upgrading to HD for 1900 i don't have lol, just for trim. There's nothing else in HD i need. Not one thing.
agreed and have been asking forever .. as it would making sharing sessions with HD users a lot easier and more transparent !!! silly omission is a great way to put it ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 12-07-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:

It works just fine to select the region and drag it down. You just have to be sure you have break points set correctly at the end and that you are outside of those breakpoints.

The other easy way to do it is with a plugin. The final plugin in your chain with an output volume would do the job, or a dedicated plugin. Slate has a free trim plugin for instance.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 12-07-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
It works just fine to select the region and drag it down. You just have to be sure you have break points set correctly at the end and that you are outside of those breakpoints.

The other easy way to do it is with a plugin. The final plugin in your chain with an output volume would do the job, or a dedicated plugin. Slate has a free trim plugin for instance.
these are good ideas .. the Trim PLugin in PT could be used for this .. and i think the OP is referring to TRIM Auto which is just like that - having an overall volume for all AUTO on that Lane ..

and it is one of the big things i miss about HD ..

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 12-07-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:

oh, i'm a dumbo.. thanks for the idea.. the free blue cat gain suite is amazing and has a stereo one too for balancing something way out of whack, with multiple groups/vca capabilities of it's own. Ta for the idea! I will also try once again to drag it all up or down, i must have been doing it wrong. Cheers.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
these are good ideas .. the Trim PLugin in PT could be used for this .. and i think the OP is referring to TRIM Auto which is just like that - having an overall volume for all AUTO on that Lane ..

and it is one of the big things i miss about HD ..
the trim in HD wouldn't do ALL the auto would it? Only what the user wants? For example if i'm trimming volume, i wouldn't want to trim filter frequency sweeps.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
the trim in HD wouldn't do ALL the auto would it? Only what the user wants? For example if i'm trimming volume, i wouldn't want to trim filter frequency sweeps.
if i remember correctly, there is a trim for each Automation Kind ..

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 12-07-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
It works just fine to select the region and drag it down. You just have to be sure you have break points set correctly at the end and that you are outside of those breakpoints. ... final plugin in your chain with an output volume would do the job ...
+1. For gain of a track in a mix (preserving automation moves already written) I adjust final plug output level. I find the automation breakpoints thing to be a bit crazy ... but workable. I try my best to first create a static mix, then tweak with automation as needed. My 2 cents !!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-08-2017, 02:39 AM

Quote:

+1 about the stupid omission. As per your comment, VCA solves it. That said, I've hardly used volume automation since the introduction of clip gain. Easier, more elegant, provided you're not doing ridiculously extreme rides.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:32 AM

Actually, the clip gain in pro tools is thought out so well, it's one of the main reasons i switched to it to begin with, seriously. It's awesome.