Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2017, 08:31 AM

Default Midi notes getting stuck and sustaining forever after playback is paused

This is happening a lot in my sessions with various VI software, its not consistent to the various software i'm using, so it's a pro tools issue.. I will try to explain what is happening.

I will pause the playback and some of my VIs will get stuck on a note and continue to play one long continuous note forever and the only way to fix it is to go and find that VI track, make the plugin inactive to stop it and then reactivate it..

It doesn't sound like that bad of a fix but I have to do this constantly and when a client is in the studio - it comes across as unprofessional and wastes valuable time. Especially when it's an annoying sound, and I get angrier every time it happens lol.

I have tried to also freeze the track temporarily and sometimes that will work. But a lot of the time, the glitch will happen inside the frozen track. ex: from say a Chorus that has midi, to another Chorus that has midi but the verse in between those chorus's don't.. so they verse ends up with this long out of tune obnoxious sustained note.

Make sense? I don't know if anyone knows why this could be happening, but also posting so that AVID knows about it and tries to sort out this problem for their next update
Old 09-09-2017, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Midi notes getting stuck and sustaining forever after playback is paused

Yeah had exactly that issue a good few times. Happens here with some Arturia VIs. I don't find it an issue for the AIR VIs like MiniGrand or NI stuff either. Sure is a pain in the buttocks. Like you said, goes away with turning the plugin off and on. The All MIDI Notes Off doesn't help.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 09-10-2017, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Midi notes getting stuck and sustaining forever after playback is paused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
Yeah had exactly that issue a good few times. Happens here with some Arturia VIs.

Stephen
This has been an issue back to at least PT10 and maybe even earlier. I don't get it as much with the Arturia synths (I have every one) but NI's Absynth is a major offender. In a number of cases I've had it happen where a sustain off message isn't seen after a previous sustain on message.

QAPLA!
Old 09-20-2017, 05:03 AM

Also have this problem, but only with Synapse Dune2. I'm running PT 12.8.0 HD on Windows 7 Ultimate.
Some notes get stuck, but is unstuck again when the same note is played.
Annoying.