Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 09-08-2017, 12:24 PM

Default Noob: looking for low CPU but decent drum VI

Hi, I'm using a MacBook Pro with an Apollo Twin Mk2. I started looking at some relatively inexpensive drums for basic songwriting, not really for full production. But I am kind of picky about sound, so Boom doesn't cut it for me.

I like the sound of the Abbey Road drums, and they have some groove files to start with which is nice, but you have to use their Kontakt 5 program as well.

Some of the Slate drums I've heard are good as well, but don't seem to offer groove files.

I start to get concerned about overhead on my CPU, too, when thinking about using Kontakt...don't know if it adds any more than using Slate drums more directly in Pro Tools.

I don't know...I guess I'm looking for recommendations for a decent drum starter package that isn't too expensive either in $ or CPU. Hope that makes sense?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-08-2017, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Noob: looking for low CPU but decent drum VI

Toontrack Ez drummer.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Toontrack Ez drummer.
Thanks, Darryl. What makes EZ Drummer better from your perspective? Looks like it's more expensive than either basic Slate or Abbey Road, but still in the ballpark.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:26 PM

Easy to use, simple to get started, more stable/less impact on the system than Slate and typical stuff from NI (although I've not used Abbey Road). And you can upgrade later to the more capable/complex Superior Drummer if you want (I use SD but such little of it I could well use Ez Drummer for everything, I own both.).

All these are very personal choices. You need to try some of these and see what works for you. Toontracks have 10 day trials of Ez Drummer.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:44 PM

My two centsbut my experience with most of the NI stuff is that the sounds are pretty darn dark. In other words, not as bright as you would end up wanting them to be. The Abbey Road stuff is no exception. I agree with Darryl that EZ Drummer is better and, IMHO, sounds way better too.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:45 PM

Also a fan of ezdrummer, but addictive drums is also worth looking into(both are very reasonably priced and quite easy to use. And both sound really good)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-08-2017, 09:15 PM

Sennheiser Drummica for Kontakt
Old 09-20-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greiswig View Post
But I am kind of picky about sound, so Boom doesn't cut it for me.
I agree. Boom doesn't cut if for me either. Not even close.
Try Battery 4. There's alot of fill stuff wich I personally don't find any use for but also some good samples you can tweak into even better sounding.

Quote:
I like the sound of the Abbey Road drums, and they have some groove files to start with which is nice, but you have to use their Kontakt 5 program as well.
I have a couple of the Abbey Road kits from NI. They are very CPU hungry unless you turn alot of processing off.

Quote:
I'm looking for recommendations for a decent drum starter package that isn't too expensive either in $ or CPU.
Strike is CPU friendly on my system. It sounds pretty good too.