Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 AM

Default LE on small fanless system ?

I bought the fanless Dell mini10 in order to record single tracks for foley, unfortnually the install freezes on copying the dalwin.sys to the driver folder.

Have seen on the net that there is fanless integrated mobos with the new Atom N330 dual core.

Is there anyone here that have experience of LE on small fanless computers ?

Christian Christensen
Old 04-13-2010, 07:20 AM

Default Re: LE on small fanless system ?

Pro Tools either works or it doesn't, so the 'single track' line of thought honestly doesn't apply. Got some system specs on that computer you can share?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:34 AM

Hello Sw Rec, thanks for replying

I will try to type when I unicely can find in the controlpanel

Atom Z530
1 gig ram ( as all netbooks )
Intel firmware Hub device 82802
Intel SCH LPC Interface controller 8119
COMPAL Embedded system control
Intel SCH Family USB Universal Controller 8114 - 8117
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 500

Christian
Old 04-13-2010, 07:37 AM

I remember reading that Atom processors are NOT compatible with PT.

Still small+fanless can be done using a Core2 CPU. Some undervolting, A large passive CPU heatsink and a fanless PSU, drop in an SSD and its a zero moving part system that is completely silent.

IMO, recording foley is possible on a system with 1 or 2 low speed fans (500RPM) in the same room. But then some people are perfectionists

EDIT: posting this using a laptop with same specs. These are way underpowered for any DAW. It can barely handle web based flash.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:54 AM

Remember a couple of years ago I saw tiny mobos for intel sockets...cant find any on the net anymore..wasnt they called micro atx and nano atx mobos ?

Christian
Old 04-13-2010, 08:27 AM

its mini ITX.
There are some available.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikRobert View Post
Remember a couple of years ago I saw tiny mobos for intel sockets...cant find any on the net anymore..wasnt they called micro atx and nano atx mobos ?

Christian
ITX is that formfactor. Stick with a Intel chipset vs the Ion in this case

MattP had Logic and PT8.0 running on a MSI Wind Netbook when he was here last summer. The Dverb count was something like 14-15. It would run the whole Logic 9 demo with a zillion tracks and video FWTW. I would think that you ought to be able to get the thing to work with only a track or two and PT.

While I agree wth Mano that a netbook is underpowered Flash itself is a notorious CPU hog.

There are (or where) ITX boards that took a fullsize Core 2 processor and one of those might be a better bet. I can't tell how sucessfuly you would be trying to bolt a large passive full ATX CPU cooler to a ITX bord.

A used first gen Intel Macbook or Mini might do the same job cheaper

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-13-2010, 09:57 AM

Asumations

yes...that what i think i have read aswell...that some people get LE to work on the Atom platform...I am not expert in that field, but as they all are integrated..it could be the same intel chipset on all of them...and in that case...why couldnt dalwin.sys be copyied on my netbook...

As to many links LE works fine on a netbook if it is transformed to a netMAC...so I would asume it should work on the XP platform aswell..

I have no doubt though that there is a market to make LE to work on all the netbook platforms..imagine sucha neat LE recorder to put down in your bagpack...and actually the dells are fanless...

I even would be happy if Digidesign could release ProTools recording software, with fewer tracks, no pluggins, but for just playback-recording with simple video for foley, on location voices, simple 2 track music recording...hey, it could be called Protools Nano, or Pro Tools SU ( second unit )

Christian
Old 04-13-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikRobert View Post
Asumations

yes...that what i think i have read aswell...that some people get LE to work on the Atom platform...I am not expert in that field, but as they all are integrated..it could be the same intel chipset on all of them...and in that case...why couldnt dalwin.sys be copyied on my netbook...

As to many links LE works fine on a netbook if it is transformed to a netMAC...so I would asume it should work on the XP platform aswell..

I have no doubt though that there is a market to make LE to work on all the netbook platforms..imagine sucha neat LE recorder to put down in your bagpack...and actually the dells are fanless...

I even would be happy if Digidesign could release ProTools recording software, with fewer tracks, no pluggins, but for just playback-recording with simple video for foley, on location voices, simple 2 track music recording...hey, it could be called Protools Nano, or Pro Tools SU ( second unit )

Christian
You try copying the PT installer to you local drive and running it from there? I do know that Matt had installed a fresh copy of XP to a larger (faster) hdd canibilised from a notebook.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88