Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-03-2006, 07:17 AM

Default HD cost question

Hi everybody.
I'm usualluy in the PTLE forum so go easy on me.
I have heard so many different things...

please tell me what is the approximate cost (US $) of a PTHD system that consists of this. No pre's, no converers, I want to use my api's and rosettas. but I need to record 24 simultaneous tracks so this puts me into HD3 i believe.
but with the pci cards cabling and all other hardware where does that leave me? i am mostly wongering about 96k but would also like to know the price difference to go higher.

thanks for your help.
-Jeff
Old 02-03-2006, 08:39 AM

Default Re: HD cost question

okay, I 'll try to go easy on you

You don't need an HD3 to get 24 input channels. You can get 32 channels of I/O with an HD1 which lists at $8000.
Also, do you have 24 channels of A to D convertors of Rosetta already? Which model Rosetta do you have -200 or 800?
I will assume from what you said that you already have 3 Rosetta 800 units. You would just need to buy the 3 optional interfaces to HD (Apogee X-HD card) at around $500 each.

It won't cost you more to go 192 (as long as your convertors do 192), except that you will need more drive space. You will need a few drives at around $150 each.

What computer do you have, or do you need a new one? I would suggest that you should have at least a dual processor G5 if possible. Stick with what is on the Digidesign Compatability list. Average price depending on what you choose is $2500.

Cables are chump change in the whole equation, so figure that it will be around $500 or so, meaning a very small percentage of a whole HD system.

TOTAL : around $13,000

Bottom line is: talk to a dealer and get a quote.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:07 AM

hi thanks a lot thats th eanswer that i was looking for.

no i do not have the converters yes. if i'm ever able to spring on HD i would probably go with 3 rosetta800's. Right now i also only have 4 api pre's (along with a few channels of neve clone) but I was just trying to narrow down my options (as far as the digi end of things)

and yes my computer is getting old dual 867 and I am aware that i would have to go to a dual g5

thanks for the tip.

-jeff
Old 02-03-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:
okay, I 'll try to go easy on you

You don't need an HD3 to get 24 input channels. You can get 32 channels of I/O with an HD1 which lists at $8000.
Also, do you have 24 channels of A to D convertors of Rosetta already? Which model Rosetta do you have -200 or 800?
I will assume from what you said that you already have 3 Rosetta 800 units. You would just need to buy the 3 optional interfaces to HD (Apogee X-HD card) at around $500 each.

It won't cost you more to go 192 (as long as your convertors do 192), except that you will need more drive space. You will need a few drives at around $150 each.

What computer do you have, or do you need a new one? I would suggest that you should have at least a dual processor G5 if possible. Stick with what is on the Digidesign Compatability list. Average price depending on what you choose is $2500.

Cables are chump change in the whole equation, so figure that it will be around $500 or so, meaning a very small percentage of a whole HD system.

TOTAL : around $13,000

Bottom line is: talk to a dealer and get a quote.
i suppose this doesnt include any plug ins?
Old 02-03-2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
i suppose this doesnt include any plug ins?
http://www.digidesign.com/products/hd/hdpack/index.cfm

Depending on whether you get an HD1, HD2 or HD3, you will get a different plug-in bundle as shown at the link above.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
..but I need to record 24 simultaneous tracks...
Wow, just curious what kind of sessions you're going to be doing that require recording 24 simultaneous tracks? Sounds like a good-sized group in a big room...
Old 02-03-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Wow, just curious what kind of sessions you're going to be doing that require recording 24 simultaneous tracks? Sounds like a good-sized group in a big room...
I record 24 tracks at a time all the time. This is not uncommon when doing band recordings. I know it's less common in todays "modeled" virtual instrument world, but when dealing with a band with real players all playing at the same time, I can easily go 24+ on a first pass. Here's a typical set up for me on a tracking date:

- HH
- Kick
- Kick (out side, beater side, etc... my "extra" kick mic)
- Snare top
- Snare bottom
- Tom 1
- Tom 2
- Tom 3
- OHL
- OHR
- Room L
- Room R
- Smashed room L
- Smashed room R
- Guitar mic
- Guitar DI
- Bass Mic
- Bass DI
- Scratch Vox

So... that's 19 for a three piece band. If there were keyboards, strings, percussion, second guitarist, acoustic gtr, additional amplifiers, piano, etc... there would be more inputs.

-Tom
Old 02-03-2006, 09:00 PM

Tom, You're right. It's easy to rack up inputs especially when miking up a full drum kit (haven't squeezed one in my project studio for a long time ). Just wanted to raise the question -- too many people spend thousands of $$$ on stuff they never use, like me...
Old 02-03-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
[QUOTE]
Wow, just curious what kind of sessions you're going to be doing that require recording 24 simultaneous tracks? Sounds like a good-sized group in a big room... [/quote

yes the above post looks like mine, again I'm in LE so I use 18 right now.
the last time I recorded drums for my band this was it

1- kick
2-beater
3-sub kick
4-sn top
5-sn bottom
6-rack 1
7-rack 2
8-floor 1
9-floor 2
10- OH left
11-OH right
12-hat
13-ride
14-room left
15-room right
16-room center
17 -scratch gtr
18-scratch vox

sometimes (depending on the song) i would sustitute the hat for a crazy (really high) room mic, it would have been nice to not have to loose the hat to get that. and also it would have been helpful to have a scratch bass track. Not a big deal, but I would have used them if I had them.
so that's 18, so i figure if I had 24 that would cover me with a little room to spare.