Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 06-15-2019, 12:46 AM

Default True Peak Normalization: Workflow?

When I send out a mix to a client—at any stage in the process from rough to final—after printing, I like to peak normalize the print to a reasonable level so that the mix can be comfortably listened to on any equipment. I've been using -2.0dBFS, but this can lead to issues with intersample peaks above 0dBTP for dynamic material. Furthermore, peaks above -2.0dBTP can translate to above 0dBTP (or even above 0dBFS) when resampling, bit-reducing, or encoding to lossy formats.

To remedy this issue, I'd like to be able to easily peak normalize to -2.0dBTP within Pro Tools. Unfortunately, the Audio Suite Normalize plugin is old as dirt and doesn't have this capability, and likely will never be updated to include it. Are there any third party plugins to accomplish this, without limiting? Cursory searching here and on Google yielded no results.

Barring that, what is your true peak normalization workflow?

27" iMac Retina 5K 4.0GHz Quad-Core i7 16GB RAM / macOS High Sierra v10.13.6 (17G14019) / RME Fireface UFX (Firmware v360/DSP v1.63/USB 2.0 Driver v3.19) / Pro Tools v12.8.3.178
Old 06-15-2019, 05:07 AM

Default Re: True Peak Normalization: Workflow?

I don't do normalization as such. I work to K14 metering followed by a true peak limiter like Fabfilter Pro-L set to -1dbfs. All on my 2-bus. Don't like normalization plugins as for me they make stuff sound like crap.

QAPLA!
Old 06-15-2019, 07:28 AM

I do this too ^ but you could just normalize to minus whatever you want then use a true peak limiter with threshold set to that same value.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:04 AM

Normalization is not my preferred solution either. Just a subtle peak limiter does the job for me.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-15-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Normalization is not my preferred solution either. Just a subtle peak limiter does the job for me.
Agreed. Every normalization utility I've come across (even from Sony/Sonnox) makes things sound worse than before.

QAPLA!
Old 06-15-2019, 12:01 PM

I prefer to leave any limiting to mastering. I've never found the Audio Suite Normalize plugin to be anything but transparent. I haven't done any ABX or null tests, but nothing in a normalized print has ever made me go, "Huh, that sounds wrong. What happened?" It always sounds just as I expect it to. It should be no different than applying gain to a file (like clip gain).

At present, my workflow for true peak normalization is thus:

1) Print in real time
2) Export print
3) Run file through MAAT DROffline MKII to get true peak level
4) Open in Aurchitect Myriad (R.I.P.) and apply gain to bring true peak level to ~-2.0dBTP

Should be unnecessary in 2019. Any DAW worth its salt should be providing native true peak metering and workflows.

27" iMac Retina 5K 4.0GHz Quad-Core i7 16GB RAM / macOS High Sierra v10.13.6 (17G14019) / RME Fireface UFX (Firmware v360/DSP v1.63/USB 2.0 Driver v3.19) / Pro Tools v12.8.3.178
Old 06-15-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediJoker View Post
I prefer to leave any limiting to mastering. I've never found the Audio Suite Normalize plugin to be anything but transparent. I haven't done any ABX or null tests, but nothing in a normalized print has ever made me go, "Huh, that sounds wrong. What happened?" It always sounds just as I expect it to. It should be no different than applying gain to a file (like clip gain).

At present, my workflow for true peak normalization is thus:

1) Print in real time
2) Export print
3) Run file through MAAT DROffline MKII to get true peak level
4) Open in Aurchitect Myriad (R.I.P.) and apply gain to bring true peak level to ~-2.0dBTP

Should be unnecessary in 2019. Any DAW worth its salt should be providing native true peak metering and workflows.
It's possible in any daw, including PT, as long as you have the right plugins to do the job. What I outlined is but one way to get the job done. And a heck of a lot less work than what you're doing. Limiting can be used at any point in the process; I find the Fabfilter limiter to do a good true peak catch and correct.

QAPLA!
Old 06-15-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
It's possible in any daw, including PT, as long as you have the right plugins to do the job. What I outlined is but one way to get the job done. And a heck of a lot less work than what you're doing. Limiting can be used at any point in the process; I find the Fabfilter limiter to do a good true peak catch and correct.
But I'm not interested in "catch and correct." I want the dynamic range left intact, with the transients as they are, simply peaking at -2.0dBTP.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediJoker View Post
But I'm not interested in "catch and correct." I want the dynamic range left intact, with the transients as they are, simply peaking at -2.0dBTP.
Then do what I suggested above. I use the Waves WLM plus
Old 06-15-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Then do what I suggested above. I use the Waves WLM plus
That just doesn't sound like it will do what I want. I'm going to ping MAAT about offering DROffline MKII as a plugin for measuring loudness and peak levels of files within DAWs. Then, I could simply apply gain to match -2.0dBTP.