Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2001, 05:49 AM

Default PT III Nubus

Hi guys,

my third attempt to post this. My previous posts have somewhat gone to hell after I clicked the "Add Topic" Button. I hope this time around it'll work.
I bought a PT III Core Nubus rig for dirt cheap (including tons of plugs) and am about to expand it with an Expansion Chassis, 2 more disk í/o's and 4 dsp farm cards. How powerful would this system be? I'd need something like 32 Tracks, 24 Outputs (Mixing analog on a Trident Board) + maybe 20 Plug Ins per session. Is this realistic?
Furthermore which is the latest software running on this system? I need Midi in any case.
And, do the Bombfactory Classic Compressors work on this system? I love them and must have them....

Guys, thanks for your help.

Best.

Markus
Old 11-13-2001, 08:09 AM
Avid

Default Re: PT III Nubus

-Each Disk I/O yields 16 voices. Therefore, a total of 48 voices can be achieved with a 3 Disk I/O system.

-The number of physical I/O you have is dependant on how many interfaces you are using. Please remember, when connecting an interface to a Farm Card, a chip is used, thus reducing the total number of plug-ins that your cards can accomodate.

-Pro Tools 4.2 is the last version to support NuBus hardware with a PowerPC Mac.

-As far as I know, Bomb Factory Plug-ins are not compatible with NuBus hardware.

Brent
Old 11-13-2001, 04:17 PM

I'd love to know how you get on 'cos I've just dug my old Pro Tools gear out of the cupboard and I have exactly the same idea!
Old 11-13-2001, 08:55 PM

Hi, Markus. I have the following Nubus items if you need them: Expansion chassis, a Disk I/O, and three 888s. All items are in excellent condition with all cables. Please email privately, if interested.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-13-2001, 10:15 PM

Hi,

I have an expanded PTIII system with 2 I/O and 2 Farm cards in a 9150. I run PT 4.3.1(remove DSP manager from Extensions folder) and Mac OS 8.6. If you want to run 20 instances of the same plug you are probably in good shape. Newer plugs are not likely to work on nubus TDM systems. Bomb Factory won't work in TDM. Older plugs are often more efficient on these older systems. Reverb is the real problem. The choices for reverb are very limited. You can always try demos to see what will work with your system. Waves and McDSP are probably good bets.

It is possible to run Mac OS 9 but I had problems so I went back to OS 8.6. Your mileage may vary.

Using Resedit, it is possible to change DAE 3.4.1 to launch with PT 5. I have no idea if it works well. PT 5 will provide midi.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2001, 03:13 AM

Hi Guys,

thank you all for your suggestions. I am on the right road it seems. I mostly recod Metal or pretty dirty Rock stuff so I do not see that much benefit in 24 Bit. I have already a Digi 001 and I will keep that for Midi and as additional system in sync with the Nubus System.
Reverb is not really a problem I have a couple of outboard reverbs and the system I bought includes TC Megaverb and Waves Trueverb, so that should do fine.
I will go and pick up the system tomorrow.
Additional stuff I am looking for is 2 Disk I/O's, 2-4 DSP Farms and all the cabling stuff. I have the expansions chassis already. I will keep you guys updated when the systems up and running. Anyone knows where I could have a look to buy Pro Tools used stuff??

regards,

Markus
Old 11-14-2001, 07:40 AM

Hi
This site is among the best for used PT stuff there's also alot of stuff on ebay, www.ebay.com
By the way I have a disc I/O and a farm card complete with tdm ribbon cable and two interface cables. I'm from Sweden so it's very easy to ship to Germany.
Old 11-14-2001, 08:30 AM

Hansa,

sounds interesting. Contact me at my e-mail adress please:
[email protected]

thanks.

Markus