Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 11-21-2019, 09:31 AM

Default Open Mix & Edit as Tabs in single window (Mac)

I'm curious, am I missing a short cut?

When I'm forced to work on a single monitor, I like to have the Edit and Mix frames as switchable tabs within the same window. This I can achieve provided I open either Mix or Edit and make Full-Screen before opening the other, at which point it is automatically assign as a tab rather than a window (since this is a native Apple preference as opposed to a Pro Tools option. Is this possible within Pro Tools itself without having to go the long way round?

Cheers.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Open Mix & Edit as Tabs in single window (Mac)

PT doesn't do tabs without some kind of help from OSX. I'd say to investigate OSX's Spaces

QAPLA!
Old 11-21-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
PT doesn't do tabs without some kind of help from OSX. I'd say to investigate OSX's Spaces
Thanks for clarifying the lack of a native way of doing this.

BTW, Spaces hasn't been around for some time. It was incorporated into Mission Control. No need for it, though:
  1. Start with either Edit or Mix window open
  2. Make the window Full Screemn (click on green, top left)
  3. Then CMD + = to the remaining window.
You now have both Mix and Edit as full-screen tabs in a switchable window. Use your second monitor for Plugins, chess, vanity mirror, or whatever floats your boat.

No idea if this works for Windows - hopefully yes, because I won't be buying another Mac ,-)
Old 11-21-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooxii View Post
Thanks for clarifying the lack of a native way of doing this.

BTW, Spaces hasn't been around for some time. It was incorporated into Mission Control. No need for it, though:
  1. Start with either Edit or Mix window open
  2. Make the window Full Screemn (click on green, top left)
  3. Then CMD + = to the remaining window.
You now have both Mix and Edit as full-screen tabs in a switchable window. Use your second monitor for Plugins, chess, vanity mirror, or whatever floats your boat.

No idea if this works for Windows - hopefully yes, because I won't be buying another Mac ,-)
I just tried your method and it does NOT have tabs. But you can switch between full screen views of either the mix or edit windows. You're still going to need Mission Control to do what you want to do. OSX 10.13.6 with PT 2019.6

QAPLA!
Old 11-21-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I'm curious, am I missing a short cut?

When I'm forced to work on a single monitor, I like to have the Edit and Mix frames as switchable tabs within the same window. This I can achieve provided I open either Mix or Edit and make Full-Screen before opening the other, at which point it is automatically assign as a tab rather than a window (since this is a native Apple preference as opposed to a Pro Tools option. Is this possible within Pro Tools itself without having to go the long way round?

Cheers.
Having everything on its own window is the Mac way of doing things. The original way. Sorry if I sound rude, but maybe time to get used to it?
Old 11-21-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Having everything on its own window is the Mac way of doing things. The original way. Sorry if I sound rude, but maybe time to get used to it?
Sorry if I also sound rude, Janne, but having everything in one window is 'one' way of doing things. There are many others, all of which I'm well versed in.

I work on multiple monitors when I can. When I'm travelling, that's not possible. Therefore – and here's the point of the post in case it helps others – I CAN use one window with two tabs, one for mix and one for edit.
Sierra 10.12.6 with PT 2019.10

Jake's experience seems to indicate HSierra has broken it.
Image attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (56.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-21-2019, 02:56 PM

Oh okay, point taken. But if you work on multiple monitors the window switching shortcut must be pretty familiar to you, right?
Old 11-21-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Oh okay, point taken. But if you work on multiple monitors the window switching shortcut must be pretty familiar to you, right?
Absolutely, though I find a simple swipe across a mouse is much quicker.
I don't like to do that in Pro Tools or Logic , since I prefer a static environment to work in. Dual monitors allows for that as long as you're not in full expanded mode (Alt + Click green button) and not in full screen mode (Click only).

I hadn't realised that tabs were possible – at least on my set up... And if I use split-screen as well, I can have 3 tabs. Luxury.

I currently have Edit, Mix, and my notes all in columns. Very happy. Leaves me a free monitor for more useful things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (47.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-21-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Sorry if I also sound rude, Janne, but having everything in one window is 'one' way of doing things. There are many others, all of which I'm well versed in.

I work on multiple monitors when I can. When I'm travelling, that's not possible. Therefore – and here's the point of the post in case it helps others – I CAN use one window with two tabs, one for mix and one for edit.
Sierra 10.12.6 with PT 2019.10

Jake's experience seems to indicate HSierra has broken it.
Image attached.
Not just Janne's experience but mine - no tabs possible with High Sierra. There's going to come a time when Sierra will no longer be supported/compatible with PT. A number of us here are thinking that will go away with PT 2020. BTW which Mac are you doing this on - the one with Sierra or High Sierra? If the latter you would already know tabs aren't possible in PT without outside help.

Face it - you're going to have to get used to doing things the Mac way sooner or later.

edit for additional info:
Just tried getting tabs in OSX 10.10.5, OSX 10.12.6 and OSX 10.13.6 using the op's recipe and there's no tabs in PT 2019.6. You can use cmd = to switch between the screens though.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 11-22-2019 at 05:40 AM. Reason: additional tries to get tabs
Old 11-22-2019, 05:54 AM

Rooxii... thank you for posting this. I did this by accident a few days ago and could not replicate it. I didn't see any posts about it online so I wondered if it was a fluke.

It does work in Mojave 10.14.6 with PT 2019.10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT Tabs.jpg (69.9 KB, 0 views)