Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 11-11-2019, 01:51 PM

Default Avid MTRX with Dante SRC Question

Hey All

I'm looking to use an Avid MTRX as a router to connect my pro tools hd rig & logic rigs to the A/D converters on a dante audio network.

Here's what I'm looking at:

2x Lynx Aurora(n) 32 channel converters with dante cards running at 44.1 sync'd to the dante network with one of them set as the preferred master.

Avid MTRX with 16x16 analog IO connected to the dante network with the 128 Channel IP Audio Dante Card (with sample rate conversion)

Logic computer connected via RME HDSPe MADI as clock master controlling MTRX Sample Rate.

Pro Tools computer connected via HDX.

I need logic to be able to control & change the sample rate of the MTRX when logic sessions open and sample rate changes session to session, automatically. The MTRX should stay connected to the dante audio sources even as sample rates change, using the built in sample rate converters...

If opening Pro Tools of different sample rates, I'd manually change the sample rate of the RME clock.

This all works in my mind.... Will this work in the real world? Is this crazy???
Old 11-13-2019, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Avid MTRX with Dante SRC Question

The short answer is that it will work perfectly fine in the real world.

Just be aware that the internal bus in the MTRX reduces the channel count when you increase the sample rate. Each card slot supports 128 ch. at 44.1/48 kHz, 64 ch. at 88.2/96 kHz and 32 ch. at 176.4/192 kHz.

This means that even though the Dante card can support 128 ch. as its interface operating at 44.1 kHz, you will only be able to use 64 of them if the MTRX is set to 96 kHz. That should however not be an issue for you since the RME MADI card also reduces the channel count if you increase the sample rate.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Avid MTRX with Dante SRC Question

Jan-

Thanks for the reply. Understood regarding the channel count limitation. That's not what I expected, but it's not a problem & good to know.

If that was the short answer, what is the long answer? Does the SRC introduce any additional latency? How good does the SRC sound? Any pitfalls to watch out for?

I'm really trying to make this system a combination of extremely flexible but also plug and play / easy for outside engineers with no Dante or IT experience. I'm very excited about the options that Dante can provide the studio, but I'm still having trouble trying to work around the Sample Rate issues it has. It seems like such a step backwards to make people globally change a sample rate manually just to open different sessions at different rates.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:24 PM

Question Different SRs on a multi-venue/studio Dante network

I am also wondering about this. If you're on a decent sized Dante network with multiple venues, how can one be working at a different sample rate than another? Example would be one recording studio is working on a session at 96K but and a live venue is running sound on a console at 48k. Obviously, I don't want one of them to not work...but I don't want to have to disable Dante connections when locations need to change sample rates.

I'm sure there's a simple answer to this but I haven't come across it yet.

Thanks!