Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2001, 05:17 PM

Default Talkback Mic Setup

Does anybody have any ideas on ways to setup a talkback mic on the 001. I'd like to route it to the headphones without having to rec enable a track in each session, then later delete it at mixdown. I'm using a external headphone amp, but it has no extra inputs. Any thoughts....

Thanks,
Scott Owens
Old 08-01-2001, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Talkback Mic Setup

I use one of those cheap computer mics hooked to the preamp #2 on the Digi. I set up a monitor track in the session with the channel patched in and then use the mute button on the channel strip like a talkback switch. You can delete at mixdown or just leave muted. I wish the 001 had a talkback setup built in. Its one of the things I miss about my Session 8.
Old 08-01-2001, 05:40 PM

Buy a little mixer, run your inputs thru it and send your headphone feed out of it. Then you can plug in an extra mic to the mixer which will go to the headphones and be completely independant from your protools session.
Old 08-01-2001, 06:51 PM

cheap radio shack mic with a on/off switch run through a aux track........
Old 08-02-2001, 07:56 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Forrest77:
Buy a little mixer, run your inputs thru it and send your headphone feed out of it. Then you can plug in an extra mic to the mixer which will go to the headphones and be completely independant from your protools session.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's the best idea i've heard yet. i use an oz audio hm6 qmix headphone amp and mixer so this method will work great for me. just route the talkback mic to one the 4 independent inputs or even the main inputs. thanks forrest77. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

sarah
mister funny shoes
www.misterfunnyshoes.com
[email protected]
Old 08-09-2001, 11:23 AM

After transitioning from an Adat/Mackie 24-8 setup to a Digi001, I noticed the only usage the Mackie was getting was the talkback function. It looked like a great opportunity to eliminate a piece of barely used equipment. All I needed to do was find a replacement for the talkback function. I considered using the mic technique mentioned above but had some issues: 1) It ties-up a mic preamp. 2) It ties up a Digi001 input 3) potential feedback problems when used with open monitors 4) Switches on mics are typically not momentary contact thus you must remember to turn it off after every use.
I also considered the mixer suggestion but isn't that very similar to the setup I already had? I wanted to get rid of a mixer not trade it for a smaller one. Also, most smaller mixers don't have a talkback circuit, which really what I was looking for: The Mackie talkback function in a small, simple package. I started searching the Net, thinking that someone must be making a product with these features. I found one manufacuter that offered something pretty close to what I was looking for. Price? Over $800 for the cheapest unit.
I enlisted the help of a couple of friends of mine who happen to be electronic engineers. We created a low profile desk-top talkback system. The unit accepts a stereo line-level or headphone-level signal and blends the signal from an integrated electret condensor mic connected to a high gain adjustable preamp. The device also uses a pair of high quality variable gain op-amps to drive the output which can be routed to a stereo headphone amp or used to drive headphones directly (or both since it contains two outputs). If we have enough interest we may create a limited run of these units. If anyone is interested you may email me at: [email protected]
Thanks,
Old 08-11-2001, 07:01 AM

Here's my setup:

I used to use a mic just plugged in, (btw, if you use an aux channel instead of a rec enabled channel, then you don't have to record the talk back signal or delete the wav later) My problem was that I'd forget to mute it when recording or unmute it when I want to talk and so the person w/ headphones on would always hear control room noise while tracking.

I know nothing about electronics, but figured out a simple push button switch would solve this. When I want to talk, I push the button...When I'm done, just letting go turns it off.
http://members.aol.com/executivos/button.jpg

Cut open the mic cable (I use an xlr balanced cable because when pushing and releasing the switch a high impedance signal clicks a bit) Take one of the 3 wires. Cut it. Connect each side of the cut wire to a side of the switch, so now the signal on one wire basically just passes through. I drilled a small hole in my desk..If you don't want to do that, build a small box or something.
Here's the wiring: http://members.aol.com/executivos/wires.jpg

Cost? The button I use I got at Lowes for a few dollars. *****Make sure you test the button and it's comfortable to push. The first one I got took some strength and got REALLY old after a few hours in a session. Make sure you get the right kind. I believe the one you want is "normally open", which means signal is off. I could be wrong. Ask someone there if you don't know.

The $10 computer mics really don't work very well, and don't have xlr. Solution? Nady Starpower 1. $10 musicians friend. (Note: the mic stand in the picture was like $6 at radio shack)
http://members.aol.com/executivos/mic.jpg

Yes, it still takes up an input...If you can't spare it then you need a mixer. I just found this easier then grabing the mouse to mute and unmute the aux channel.

It's pretty cool to site back in my leather chair, push the button and say "You suck...sing that again". [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: executivos ]