Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2011, 04:23 PM

Default Avid-- Pay attention to NETFLIX

As you all read in the news, Netflix is in big trouble. The stock has tanked and they lost 800,000 customers already.
Why all this over a few bucks a month? ITS THE THE PRINCIPLE. You people on here who call us "whiners" and dont understand why if we invested $1,000's already on our gear we wont suck it up and pay $999 to upgrade....well--

ITS THE PRINCIPLE. I think they made enough money on us they dont need to rape us for $999 on a software download that isn't any physical item like a card that needs to be made and shipped.

There is a strong sense in the USA right now of hatred towards corporate greed- Finally people are waking up and doing something about it. Netflix ignored the "whiners" and have paid for it dearly.

Avid- you make a good product...I support you. I want to see you make money and keep good jobs for the folks who work for you. However, you can do all of that without raking me through the coals and OVERCHARGING for your products that you know we rely on to make a living.

I will add finally that when asked about market research on the price increase before doing it, the CEO of Netflix stated he never actually saw any. Awesome.

A few months ago this was the company that beat the recession and had a big bright future-- now?
Im sure LOGIC is going to capitalize on this and make some enticing offers to those upset at Avid.

LOWER YOUR PRICE FOR THE HD UPGRADE FROM $999 to $299-$399. In the end you will create MORE loyalty and probably make more money by selling more units of your software.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Avid-- Pay attention to NETFLIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickroadstudio View Post
As you all read in the news, Netflix is in big trouble. The stock has tanked and they lost 800,000 customers already.
Why all this over a few bucks a month? ITS THE PRINCIPAL. You people on here who call us "whiners" and dont understand why if we invested $1,000's already on our gear we wont suck it up and pay $999 to upgrade....well--

ITS THE PRINCIPAL. I think they made enough money on us they dont need to rape us for $999 on a software download that isn't any physical item like a card that needs to be made and shipped.

There is a strong sense in the USA right now of hatred towards corporate greed- Finally people are waking up and doing something about it. Netflix ignored the "whiners" and have paid for it dearly.

Avid- you make a good product...I support you. I want to see you make money and keep good jobs for the folks in California. However, you can do all of that without raking me through the coals and OVERCHARGING for your products that you know we rely on to make a living.

I will add finally that when asked about market research on the price increase before doing it, the CEO of Netflix stated he never actually saw any. Awesome.

A few months ago this was the company that beat the recession and had a big bright future-- now?
Im sure LOGIC is going to capitalize on this and make some enticing offers to those upset at Avid.

LOWER YOUR PRICE FOR THE HD UPGRADE FROM $999 to $299-$399. In the end you will create MORE loyalty and probably make more money by selling more units of your software.
Netflix is in a whole other boat. as it's the film studios that have started asking more and more out of netflix and netflix had no choice but to actually charge back their customers. Luckily we haven't been touched by that here it's still 8 bucks a month.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-26-2011, 04:42 PM

They DO have a choice. They can choose to make less money and keep their customers. As long as they still profit-- then its all good.

And its not a whole other boat- the POINT is the same. Im sure AVID can make a healthy profit charging $399 for the HD upgrade. For every one that buys at $999 it looks like they're 10 that wont. But if all 10 buy for $399 hey EVERYONE wins, not just AVID.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
They DO have a choice. They can choose to make less money and keep their customers. As long as they still profit-- then its all good.

And its not a whole other boat- the POINT is the same. Im sure AVID can make a healthy profit charging $399 for the HD upgrade. For every one that buys at $999 it looks like they're 10 that wont. But if all 10 buy for $399 hey EVERYONE wins, not just AVID.
Unfortunately... they already made a choice today.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-26-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Did I miss something?
Old 10-26-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
What did they announce today? Netflix or Avid?
Old 10-26-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
What did they announce today? Netflix or Avid?
Avid. Internally.

I suspect we'll hear more soon, but it's not good.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-26-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Why all this over a few bucks a month? ITS THE PRINCIPAL. You people on here who call us "whiners" and dont understand why if we invested $1,000's already on our gear we wont suck it up and pay $999 to upgrade....well--

ITS THE PRINCIPAL. I think they made enough money on us they dont need to rape us for $999 on a software download that isn't any physical item like a card that needs to be made and shipped.

Avid- you make a good product...I support you. I want to see you make money and keep good jobs for the folks in California. However, you can do all of that without raking me through the coals and OVERCHARGING for your products that you know we rely on to make a living.

Great points!

They really botched this whole release big time.
Especially with the horrible amnesty period and screwing of loyal customers who just recently upgraded to PT9 for a decent amount of money.
Not to mention the poor souls who were sold full HD systems or even native cards just a few months ago who are now being asked to pay 1,000 dollars for the new upgrade.

This is insane and just not good business. Look at the Avid Facebook page, read posts from influential users of the software, people are going nuts.
Avid has been silent. They need to fix this and fast!

Lets not forget about giant companies that did not correct mistakes or waited until it was too late.

Netscape,
Yahoo,
AOL
Myspace,
NetFlix,
Avid?
Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 PM

?????
Old 10-26-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Avid. Internally.

I suspect we'll hear more soon, but it's not good.
care to say what you know?

Wave-T.com