Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2019, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchan View Post
The 2018 Mac mini i3 beats the 4 core 2013 Mac Pro

The 2018 Mac mini i5 beats the 6 core 2013 Mac Pro

The 2018 Mac mini i7 beats the 8 core 2013 Mac Pro

The 2018 Mac mini i7 kills the 12 core 2013 Mac Pro in single cpu performance but falls a little behind the 12 core in multi-core.
My cheese grater 5 1 12 core 3.46 xeons is still going strong. I'm pretty sure it's as good as a mac mini i7. The consumer mac's are garbage for future needs imo. The cheesegraters are going on 10 years. Waiting for another pro mac. Hopefully the new modular mac pro. ROI on the 5 1 even with upgrades is insane.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2019, 11:38 AM

That's still a very powerful fish tank.

On par with the i7 mac mini for pure cpu performance
around 24500 multi-core score with geekbench.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:

Amazing to me the 5 1 is so old. And still works perfectly as I did incremental upgrades. Ssd. Graphics. Ram. Etc...

Old 04-29-2019, 11:51 AM

Thats just a bunch of numbers that doesn’t mean a whole lot in the wild!!

I can make great songs with great recorded audio and mixed ITB with an old 1.1 dual 2.66 cheesegrater or on an old dual core 2009 MBPro with lots of plugins and have said songs pop up on charts and radio world wide so all this comparisons with Mini and Mac Pro and iMac bla bla bla is meaningless as long as you have the skills needed to make good music! All IMNSHO of course.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-29-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Amazing to me the 5 1 is so old. And still works perfectly as I did incremental upgrades. Ssd. Graphics. Ram. Etc...

Couldn’t agree more and why buy new macs when these old iron clad beasts works great with enough ram and ssd’s!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-29-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post

I can make great songs with great recorded audio and mixed ITB with an old 1.1 dual 2.66 cheesegrater or on an old dual core 2009 MBPro with lots of plugins and have said songs pop up on charts and radio world wide so all this comparisons with Mini and Mac Pro and iMac bla bla bla is meaningless as long as you have the skills needed to make good music! All IMNSHO of course.
That's so true. I Will never forget when I moved from porta studio cassette
recorder Yamaha MT8X to the AST 200 MMX PC. What happened there was I got blended by all the potential possibilities with the PC (reverb32.dll..!) and was so eager to overcome all the blue screens and everything else that didn't work, and without noticing I had gone from a musician to become a PC-Technician..
Old 04-29-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:

My 5.1 2009 MP 12 Core gets multi-core GB Scores over 31k.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post

Very true if you are recording mostly Audio Tracks, like I do, however if a user needs a lot of VI’s, whole other story.

Today, horsepower IMHO, only really matters for folks that run a lot of VI’s. I’m talking the typical home and even semi pro.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
all this kerfuffle about mojave compatabiltity is going to flare up AGAIN next year when they release ANOTHER operating system.....its gonna go on and on and on.....this is why i say, just get yourself a version and FREEZE the computer, or move to another one DAW...youre NEVER going to be let off this hamster wheel, and at some point its your own fault, for not listening, using past experience, or not being creative enough with the tools you have......

IF Pro Tools 2019.5 be released after May 3rd, and it’s Mojave Compatible as well, then AVID releases 10.14 compatibility shorter than a month before 10.15 will be introduced at WWDC 2019, which is from June 3-7 .

I guess you are completely right about that it will start all over again. But that’s not because of the lack of creativity of users, but because of a company that asks money for software updates and has a R&D department more sluggish than a giant tortoise.

Everyone who starts complaining about compatibility issues within a few weeks is just a whiner. People asking questions about what the heck AVID is doing with their subscription fees after 7 months are just customers wanting to be taken serious.

Btw, AVID has proven they can be spot on, the iMac Pro was qualified together with High Sierra in the weeks it shipped.
My 2008 cheese grater did a good job for almost 10 years then, but I had to freeze every VI, so I jumped to the iMac Pro 10 core with 128 GB ram and a 4TB SSD. Most expensive Mac I bought everrrr, but it works like a breeze.

However, since I’m still on a support plan I would be glad to see and know what I pay that annual fee of €428,- for. That doesn’t say something about my creativity, but it says something about my consciousness of value for money.

Without paying the annual subscription fee my iMac Pro would stil fly on 10.13.6 with 2018.12, I can perfectly be creative with it and I definitely am, so that’s not the whole point at all.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoolsLover View Post
Very true if you are recording mostly Audio Tracks, like I do, however if a user needs a lot of VI’s, whole other story.

Today, horsepower IMHO, only really matters for folks that run a lot of VI’s. I’m talking the typical home and even semi pro.
IDK some of the newer plugs are really processor hungry.