Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2017, 04:46 AM

Default PT HDX count off causes all tracks to play on output 1-2

I have a friend with PT HDX with PTHD12.4.0.294 on a Mac Pro (forgot to write down the model, but it is approved for HDX and has 14GB of memory) with OSX 10.8.5 which works fine, except for an occasional weird issue, but we now got something that is really strange, and we were wondering if anybody else has encountered this or understands what happens.
The HDX card is connected to 1xHDIO with 16 ana outs, and 2x192 with each 16 ana outs for a total of 48 outputs to a Neve desk, and the guy doesn't mix in the box (except for some PI), but through the desk, and then re-records the mix into PT.
So a typical session will have all individual tracks each routed to a mono output, like in the old tape days. He mainly does audio, with an occasional midi track if needed.
We have a repeatable issue now:
As soon as you create a click track and enable count off and then record audio or midi to a track then all playback tracks are not only playing from their individual outputs, they are also all (including the metronome track) mirrored on output 1-2. (so if the bass was on output 5 it will still play on 5, but also play on 1-2)
Once this happens, they will all keep on playing on output 1-2 until you solo something, and then un-solo. Then everything is back to normal until the next time you use the count off.
We trashed all prefs, io setup, etc, but that didn't help. We removed all 3rd party plugins but the behaviour remains the same.
And now comes the weird thing. At some point I tried to disable anything that was routed to 1-2, so I set the monitor path to none, the audition path to none, and the AFL/PFL path to none. The last one fixed it. When that one is set to none then the system works normal. When I switch it back to 1-2 we get the mirroring on 1-2. His solo mode is set to SIP.
I am confused now. As far as I understand the AFL/PFL path has got nothing to do with this, and we didn't have any tracks solo-ed anyway when this happened. We found this work around so he can work again, but we'd like to know if anybody can shine a light on this.

Thanks, Daniel
Old 02-22-2017, 09:56 AM

Default Re: PT HDX count off causes all tracks to play on output 1-2

Are you doing any sub master type routing where all tracks are sent to a submaster before the main master output?

Are you using DCAs where everything is assigned to a common ALL Tracks DCA group?

Do you have the CTRL-Solo function enabled where when you solo a track it also solos all the sends for that track, like reverb etc..?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 02-23-2017, 12:03 AM

Hi
Thanks for the input. He doesn't use any sub grouping or sub master, his use of PT is quite basic, more as an editable tape machine than anything else. His mixes mainly happen on the desk and his outboard gear.
I doubt he uses VCA's (I assume you mean VCA's) but I'll double check when I see him.
No ctrl solo enabled either. And the weird thing is that this only happens when he enables count off and the metronome, 'normal' or punch in recording work as expected.
And the fact that switching off the AFL/PFL path solves the problem is strange.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:55 AM

Re-import I/O settings or clear and rebuild then export your configurations.
(At lease check the In, Out, Bus tabs)
Old 03-15-2017, 11:15 AM

Hi Detroit!
Thanks a lot for the reply, appreciated. However, we trashed prefs and setups, deleted the whole IO setup and created them from scratch. But the issue is repeatable, even with a brand new session using this new IO setup.

I guess the next step is to de-install and re-install PT, but we haven't got to that point, as he is rather busy (which is a good thing) and the workaround with AFL/PFL path switched to none makes everything work fine again.

Thanks, Dan
Old 03-15-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDaniel View Post
Hi Detroit!
Thanks a lot for the reply, appreciated. However, we trashed prefs and setups, deleted the whole IO setup and created them from scratch. But the issue is repeatable, even with a brand new session using this new IO setup.

I guess the next step is to de-install and re-install PT, but we haven't got to that point, as he is rather busy (which is a good thing) and the workaround with AFL/PFL path switched to none makes everything work fine again.

Thanks, Dan
Does the problem go away if you turn countoff off?

I've seen an issue were if there are VCAs in a session and countoff was enabled there would be a massive jump in playback level when recording. Not the same issue I know but there does seem to be something wrong with countoff. You could spend a lot of time reinstalling and still have the problem if it's the same or a similar issue.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:36 AM

Hi Dave
Hmm, I'll check if it goes away if there is no count off only. We only tested the combi that gave him problems; count off plus metronome. So technically we do not know if it is the count off or the metronome that causes this.

But I know for sure he doesn't have any VCAs in the session, because he mixes on the desk the automation, if any, is very basic just as the routing is; the tracks just go individually to the outputs. (the desk has automation as well which he uses)

But you're right, you can spend a lot of time re-installing, only to notice that it didn't help. But the fact that even with a brand new IO setup, a new session this goes wrong, and switching off AFL/PFL fixes it, points more towards some pro tools issue that might be fixed when re-installed.

Dan
Old 03-15-2017, 02:10 PM

I had a similar problem and the only way to solve it was to go into Setup - I/O... and in the "Output" tab go down to "AFL/PFL Path" and change to "none".

Pro Tools HDX 12.7.1 OSX Sierra
Mac Pro mid 2012 6 core
Old 03-16-2017, 12:10 AM

Hey, that's interesting. So we're not the only ones. Then I guess we stop fiddling, and leave AFL/PFL to none... Since he doesn't use that anyway.

Thanks, good to know!

Dan