Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2016, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Absurd and arbitrary HDX fan noise

I bought my HDX card from a well known reseller back in December and it has been quiet. There are times when the fan comes on. It really depends how hard I'm pushing the DSP, but for me the fan is not loud at all. It's barely noticeable.

I think the "safest" bet is to say if you buy a brand new HDX card, especially from the same person I purchased from, you're going to get the latest and greatest revision of HDX card. Short of that, going to a studio and listening to the HDX card's fan turn on and determining if it's acceptable is about your only other option.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:25 AM

Thanks for this ^^^

I am also dealing with a well known vendor. Fan noise when being pushed is totally acceptable. My general usage of dsp will be fairly low and focused on tracking - not mixing.

It is the stories of folks who have the fan turn on and then never turn off even with an empty session (or minimal DSP use) that is worrying me.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 02-18-2016, 02:16 PM

my hdx cards fan spins high almost instantly. but it is in a mac pro 4,1 converted to 5,1. maybe a sonnet chassis has better airflow. if it's too loud, you can still put it into a silent rack.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the advice...

I decided to go for it and see what happens.

The Sonnet is reasonably small and can be isolated in the bottom of a rack without too much hassle. If needed I could also go the optical thunderbolt cable route. Will post back in a week or so once I get things set up
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 02-18-2016, 10:28 PM

Hey Propower... for what it's worth, I never had an issue with fan noise until I upgraded from HDX1 to HDX2.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:42 PM

I'm late to this thread but I thought I would reach out to anyone who is looking for this fan from Cofan.

I've contacted them about the purchase of 10 fans or whatever the amount they will sell me. Once I have a price I will post it here. If anyone needs one you can contact me. I'll sell them for what I get them for. Not looking to make money but I see the need to have a pair of these around.

Best
Kenny Moran
Old 05-24-2018, 08:42 AM

It's been a long time since, but Kenny did you have any luck with ordering replacement fans, or even slower quieter ones? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuvintage View Post
I'm late to this thread but I thought I would reach out to anyone who is looking for this fan from Cofan.

I've contacted them about the purchase of 10 fans or whatever the amount they will sell me. Once I have a price I will post it here. If anyone needs one you can contact me. I'll sell them for what I get them for. Not looking to make money but I see the need to have a pair of these around.

Best
Kenny Moran
Old 06-01-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinstar View Post
It's been a long time since, but Kenny did you have any luck with ordering replacement fans, or even slower quieter ones? Thanks!
Cofan will not sell to the public.
Avid HDX fans are custom built, thus they will not sell those to the public, as its Avid design.

http://advancedmusical.com
Sells them for ~$60, well they did a few months back.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:59 PM

The main issues seem to be....

1. a SINGLE HDX card will perform very well, but at some point its fan will switch on full blast and won't stop unless you reboot the session, upon which the fa behaves well for another 30 mins or so....

2. a DOUBLE HDX config seems too be reporting the Highest noise rating - no matter which type of chassis / computer ; they happen to be housed in.

3. HDX3 - I don't seem to come across as many fan issues.

I've touted quiet hacks over the last few months but I am now resolute on an open source project that just has us submerging our HDX rigs in 3M Novec tanks - NO fans and if any cards need repair - then just lift out, drain - work on board then re-submearg
Old 06-25-2018, 07:36 AM

Default Absurd and arbitrary HDX fan noise

I had a noisy hdx card so I gave the fan a blast with compressed gas duster. It’s unbelievably quiet now (I cleaned all my hackingtosh fans too). Just saying....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com