Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 10-28-2011, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Digi MIDI i/o Duplicated and greyed in Audio/Midi setup

OK! So I have upgraded to Lion with a clean install and have had problems with the Midi I/O duplicates as usual. I have determined that the duplicates occur for me when switching between apps such as PT, Logic, Live and Reason. Today, instead of rebooting, I decided to launch the AMS and just drag my connections over to the new duplicate "Midi I/O 2". I use all 10 ports for all my gear and I was feeling lazy ... so I tried connecting my midi devices to both Midi I/Os. The AMS allowed it and it works!!!!!!!!! So all my devices are connected to 2 duplicate Midi I/Os at the same time. The virtual cables are all over the place like a spiderweb. So far, I can switch back and forth as much as I want without loosing the connection to the Midi I/O!!!!
Old 11-02-2011, 02:49 PM

So this is still working great. The AMS stays locked on Midi I/O 2 and the duplicates are gone. If you are still having issues..try it out.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ndy View Post
OK! So I have upgraded to Lion with a clean install and have had problems with the Midi I/O duplicates as usual. I have determined that the duplicates occur for me when switching between apps such as PT, Logic, Live and Reason. Today, instead of rebooting, I decided to launch the AMS and just drag my connections over to the new duplicate "Midi I/O 2". I use all 10 ports for all my gear and I was feeling lazy ... so I tried connecting my midi devices to both Midi I/Os. The AMS allowed it and it works!!!!!!!!! So all my devices are connected to 2 duplicate Midi I/Os at the same time. The virtual cables are all over the place like a spiderweb. So far, I can switch back and forth as much as I want without loosing the connection to the Midi I/O!!!!
Well! that is really something!!! kinda "go with the flow" thinking!
i have seen more that 2 IF's tho... maybe hook up to the 3rd one! ;-)

ok try this!

after a boot, launch AudioMidi Setup...
see what InterFace'(s) are present and not grayed out!
quit AMS
launch AMS, are the same IF's present?
quit AMS
launch AMS, is it the same? or do you have a different configuration?

when i have 2 IF's , one connected, one grayed out,
and i go thru many lauch/quit cycles of AMS, the config actually changes back and forth...one time IF#1 will be connectd and IF#2 is grayed.
then next launch the IF's are present but opposite online and grayed out..
i can repeat this over and over every time i launch AMS...
bizzzarrr!

thoughts???

Mac Pro:
PT 11.3.2 HD native, MIDI IO, 96IO
Mac Pro Desktop 4,1 osx 10.11.6., 8 Core 2.26GHz 2009 Intel Xeon MB535LL/A 16GB RAM 640GB HD ATI 4870
-----
MBP:
OS 10.11.6, MacBookPro 5,1, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Memory: 8 GB Bus Speed:1.07 GHz, Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B06, SMC Version (system):1.33f8
Old 01-09-2012, 09:53 PM

Here is a screen capture of my AMS. http://www.freeimagehosting.net/n5fv2
I only have 1 Midi I/O and it stays online all the time on "Midi I/O 2". I cannot tell you why this works, but it does!
Old 01-16-2012, 12:17 PM

Could you resolve your problem ?
So, are these Digidesign Midi I/o working correctly on snow leopard/ 2009 & 2010 8 core Mac Pro's , with PT 9 HD (as well as with PT8 and PT7) ?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:25 PM

hey super!
i did what andy suggested and it seems to work... i launch audiomidi setup so it locks in the IF. then launch pt...
it worked much better with os 10.4.9, now with 10.6.8 it does not...
will be looking for a new IF at some point...doing things this way is really micky moused

Mac Pro:
Mac Pro Desktop 4,1 osx 10.11.6., 8 Core 2.26GHz 2009 Intel Xeon MB535LL/A 16GB RAM 640GB HD ATI 4870
-----
MBP:
OS 10.11.6, MacBookPro 5,1, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Memory: 8 GB Bus Speed:1.07 GHz, Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B06, SMC Version (system):1.33f8
Old 03-05-2012, 02:50 PM

I had similar problem with a motu mtp av usb.
after many trials and troubles I have noticed that the motu driver had been installed in
Mac HD> Library> Audio> Midi drivers
I moved they to
users> my occount> Library> Audio> Midi drivers
and solved.
It seems that in this case there are no very specific rules,
my can be a solution that works but not the certainty!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:10 PM

Smile Re: Digi MIDI i/o Duplicated and greyed in Audio/Midi setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnotes View Post
after many trials and troubles I have noticed that the motu driver had been installed in
I moved they to
and solved.
Thank you Ghostnotes! I had the same problem with my MOTU XT MIDI interface. I kept getting multiple instances of the interface in the MIDI setup in Pro Tools 10 everytime I opened the program. And the MIDI assignments on the tracks were greyed out and needed to be re-selected. Once I moved the MOTU MIDI driver(and I moved the Digi MIDI too) from the MAC HD library folder to the user library folder, it all seems to work now! No more multiple copies of the MIDI interface in the MIDI setup, and now I even get the actual names of the MIDI devices in the drop down list on the tracks(before it was just generic XTExpress1, XTExpress2, etc). After rebooting and restarting PRO Tools, MIDI track assignments are still remembered, and still only one instance of the MOTU Express. Thanks again, saved me a lot of headache!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplaydat View Post
Thank you Ghostnotes! I had the same problem with my MOTU XT MIDI interface. I kept getting multiple instances of the interface in the MIDI setup in Pro Tools 10 everytime I opened the program. And the MIDI assignments on the tracks were greyed out and needed to be re-selected. Once I moved the MOTU MIDI driver(and I moved the Digi MIDI too) from the MAC HD library folder to the user library folder, it all seems to work now! No more multiple copies of the MIDI interface in the MIDI setup, and now I even get the actual names of the MIDI devices in the drop down list on the tracks(before it was just generic XTExpress1, XTExpress2, etc). After rebooting and restarting PRO Tools, MIDI track assignments are still remembered, and still only one instance of the MOTU Express. Thanks again, saved me a lot of headache!
well, guys i think ill have to try that.... do ya think it will work with the MIDI IO? ive been launching audiomidi setup every time i use the daw, THATS a pita!

Mac Pro:
-----
MBP:
Old 04-12-2012, 12:09 PM

Thumbs up Re: Digi MIDI i/o Duplicated and greyed in Audio/Midi setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnotes View Post
I moved they to
and solved.
well, well, well! it seems the ghost has solved things...2 days so far and not one dropped MIDI IO connection...an no longer launching AM setup before PT
way to go ghost!
b

Mac Pro:
-----
MBP: