Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2012, 04:24 AM

Default "grey matter" settings gone after a crash?

Hi,

why is it that my custom settings for the "grey zone" at the top of the edit window are all gone every time PT crashes?

Also sometimes after a re-start of PT?

Countless times have I turned off "universe" and turned on expanded transport and sync options. They don´t seem to "survive" a crash while all other prefs stick.

Can this be improved?

Thanks!

Frank.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:06 AM

Default Re: "grey matter" settings gone after a crash?

I get the same thing here. Not sure why.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 AM

This may or may not be helpful...

Set up your custom settings for the "grey zone", then shut down Pro Tools before working on anything.

Restart Pro Tools and see if your customizations are still there...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-07-2012, 07:32 PM

have you tried a backup file? maybe you'll find them there. I think PT defaults to a backup every 5 minutes. I set mine for 12.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:50 AM

I would try Bill's suggestion. I was moving between mixing and recording ADR on one PT system recently and for ADR I needed my AES inputs on different locations in the I/O setup. When I got back to mix mode, setting the routing back to what I needed, PT would somehow always put the I/O setup back to my "ADR mode" everytime it crashed.
It only got away when I opened a PT session, set up what I wanted, save and restart PT, so that it "cleanly" exits and remembers its last state.
I recently updated Altiverb to v7, Speakerphone to v2 and installed the Avid instrument pack. Since then PT tends to quit very slowly, first going into "not responding" mode in the finder then quitting or crashing after a while. Reminds me of PT7.3.1 on G5 with expansion chassis, which also tended to crash on exit instead of quit normally sometimes.
All plug-ins should be up-to-date btw.

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 02-08-2012, 01:11 AM

thierry,

I'm not talking about the i/o settings (which is a whole other issue). I mean the custom settings of the grey area on the top of the edit window.

Frank.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Hi,

why is it that my custom settings for the "grey zone" at the top of the edit window are all gone every time PT crashes?

Also sometimes after a re-start of PT?

Countless times have I turned off "universe" and turned on expanded transport and sync options. They don´t seem to "survive" a crash while all other prefs stick.

Can this be improved?

Thanks!

Frank.
Hi Frank,
I have window configurations set for that, so whenever Pro Tools crashes, I just hit the first window configuration and all is set.
My second window configuration is to open the audio bin by the way, the first closes the bin again.

Hope this helps,
Tim
Old 02-08-2012, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_davies View Post
Hi Frank,
I have window configurations set for that, so whenever Pro Tools crashes, I just hit the first window configuration and all is set.
My second window configuration is to open the audio bin by the way, the first closes the bin again.

Hope this helps,
Tim
This is also what I do in combination with mem locs that keep everything in the session clean (including the window configuration). I have mem locs for DIA, PFX, MUS, FOL, SFX and AMB that show me only the tracks and plug-ins I want to see for the specific group including track heights, zoom levels etc.

Still I suspect the crash issue Frank mentions to be related with Bill's and my suggestion above. With PT I'm constantly working around issues like that and try to come up with solutions such as Window configurations.
Sometimes when PT10 crashes it even shows a completely different form of view than the moment you crashed, which is weird.

Also in my experience using older templates from previous PT versions, always show different ruler settings. Maybe this might also be a factor.

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 02-08-2012, 04:51 AM

Do the window-configs store the custom settings of the top if the edit window?
Don't think so.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Do the window-configs store the custom settings of the top if the edit window?
Don't think so.
It does here.
Saying that, I have them set to show everything in the "grey zone" - maybe that's different to individual settings. But it does work: when it doesn't show everything in the top of the edit window, using the window config brings them all into the "grey zone".

Tim