Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-11-2009, 03:50 PM

Default Problem installing PT LE on XP: small gray screen

I am unable to install PT 8.0 on my desktop. When I insert the disc, the only thing that comes up is a small gray screen with "Welcome to Pro Tools LE" on the title bar. When I insert the disc in my laptop, the correct screen comes up.

I just reinstalled Windows XP 32 bit on my desktop yesterday in an attempt to solve the problem. Reformatted the HD (NTFS) and everything. I installed the drivers for my motherboard, video card, ethernet card, and USB 2.0. The only things I have installed are Quicktime, Flash, and Daemon Tools. Internet Explorer is currently at version 6, so that's not the problem

I attempted to use Daemon Tools to create a disc image of the installer DVD. It came up with a couple bad sectors on the disc, though it said they were recoverable. I will try this again.

The funny thing is, it installed fine on my laptop. However, my laptop is a little bit too slow to run it properly.

Here are my computer stats from PC Wizard:

Mainboard : Asus P5K-E
Chipset : Intel P31/P35
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2666 MHz
Physical Memory : 4096 MB (4 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Hard Disk : ST3250310AS (250 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : PHILIPS SPD2413P SCSI CdRom Device
DVD-Rom Drive : HMHCXUB PU7SDYFG SCSI CdRom Device
Monitor Type : AL2016W - 20 inches
Network Card : MV88SE614x PCIe to SATA2 controller Yukon 88E8056 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c (December 2007)

I did see one other thread with this issue, but nothing was resolved. I am hoping someone else has solved this problem.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Problem installing PT LE on XP: small gray screen

Some people are having better success transferring the dvd to their c drive first, then installing. You did unzip everything, right?
And while we're at it, I have to ask. Where's your dedicated audio drive? That's a necessity.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:15 PM

I'd do all MS updates to your OS except the IE update.

It's possible that ProTools is using one of the newer .Net frameworks or one of the newer Windows installers (the actual app that does the installing and is called by the ProTools installer.)
Old 11-11-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Some people are having better success transferring the dvd to their c drive first, then installing. You did unzip everything, right?
And while we're at it, I have to ask. Where's your dedicated audio drive? That's a necessity.
I forgot to mention, I tried that too. But I got an error when trying to transfer a few of the files. Something like a cyclic redundancy error. I think it was after I reinstalled Windows... I am currently trying this again.

[edit] same error. it just says it can't copy the file, (cyclic redundancy check)

What do you mean, unzip everything? Don't know what I'm supposed to unzip...

And at the moment I do not have a dedicated audio drive. I know that's a no-no. But after buying PT, I might not even have enough money to pay rent. Money is that tight. I am in school full time and living on loans.

I do have a 500 GB external drive, but it is mac formatted. All the computers at my school are Macs, that's where I started using PT.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:37 PM

When I downloaded PT8, it was ZIPPED and still wouldn't all fit on a 4.7gb DVD. So the big question....when you look at the file, does it have a .zip extension? If so, you need to right click and "extract all" and THEN install it.

Don't expect PT to run well (not even for one track) without that dedicated audio drive, though. IF that 500GB drive is FIREWIRE, you can always either reformat it, or partition it and format one of the partitions NTFS and record to that. But be aware that USB externals are not supported.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
When I downloaded PT8, it was ZIPPED and still wouldn't all fit on a 4.7gb DVD. So the big question....when you look at the file, does it have a .zip extension? If so, you need to right click and "extract all" and THEN install it.

Don't expect PT to run well (not even for one track) without that dedicated audio drive, though. IF that 500GB drive is FIREWIRE, you can always either reformat it, or partition it and format one of the partitions NTFS and record to that. But be aware that USB externals are not supported.
Haha, I know what a zip file is. I just didn't realize what he was asking me. Which I get now...

The answer is, I physically bought my Mbox2 Mini with the PT install disc. I did not download the installer.

Which brings me to my next questions...

I heard that when you buy PT 8.0 on disc, you also have the ability to download the software instead. I looked everywhere on the digi site, can't find anything. I already registered at digidesign.com/reg

So is it possible that I can download an installer from digi? This should rule out a bad DVD.

Oh, and I just updated to SP3 and the latest nVidia drivers. Same problem.

Once I get PT working I will work on getting my external drive reformatted. I will probably do the dual partition thing.... The drive is both firewire or USB. And I realize PT on windows does not like USB drives. I do have a firewire port on my mobo. I promise that I won't come back here asking for help because I'm trying to work off of my main drive.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:03 PM

"My Digi" can be found here......

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=74&langid=100
Old 11-11-2009, 05:10 PM

Hi, I had this exact problem with a PT8 LE installation disc on my 4 odd year old Dell Dimension 5000, however the DVD drive is only a year old Samsung. Got the small blank grey box with "Welcome to Pro Tools LE". Would not go further than that whatever I did and believe me I tried everything... I've never had a problem installing any other software ever on that DVD drive.

I could not copy the disc onto my hard drive either using the standard windows method, Came up with the same CRC error you are getting. I ended up using a program called Unstoppable copier to copy the disc, it copied everything but reported that the Datacab 2 file was bad on the disc which it duly skipped. I ended up downloading a good datacab2 file off a friend and sticking it in my PT8 install folder that I ripped from my disc. All Fixed now.

I tested the PT8 disc in a total of three different computers, it either gave the grey box or crashed half way through install, so was definitely a bad disc.

I also complained to Digi and they sent me a download link for the install too..but by that time I'd already sorted it myself. There is no public accessible dowload link for it btw. You have to ask.

Now i've also discovered the free sample library disc in the PT8 kit is physically damaged..it has deep score in it and I cant copy half the samples. grrrrr
Old 11-11-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I've been there. I've logged into my account (via the Avid site it re-directs you to).

There is nothing under "my products" and I can't activate my product with a code because it doesn't come with one because I bought a DVD. Not a download.

So my question was, is there a way that I do not know of to get a download if I bought a DVD.

I think my DVD maybe the problem because when I tried to create a disc image with Daemon, it reported a couple bad sectors.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekon View Post
Hi, I had this exact problem with a PT8 LE installation disc on my 4 odd year old Dell Dimension 5000 however the DVD drive is only a year old Samsung. Got the small grey box with "Welcome to Pro Tools LE". Would not go further than that whatever I did and believe me I tried everything... I've never had a problem installing any other software ever on that DVD drive.

I could not copy the disc onto my hard drive either using the standard windows method, Came up with the same CRC error you are getting. I ended up using a program called Unstoppable copier to copy the disc, it copied everything but reported that the Datacab 2 file was bad on the disc which it duly skipped. I ended up downloading a good datacab2 file off a friend and sticking it in my PT8 install folder that I ripped from my disc. All Fixed now.

I tested the PT8 disc in a total of three different computers, it either gave the grey box or crashed half way through install, so was definitely a bad disc.

I also complained to Digi and they sent me a download link for the install too..but by that time I'd already sorted it myself.

Now i've also discovered the free sample library disc in the PT8 kit is also physically damaged..it has deep score in it and wont load half the samples. grrrrr
Thank you very much for your input. I will contact Digi to see if I can get a download link activated. Again, thanks for your time.