How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2016, 03:47 PM

Default Re-Mapping VI's after PT Upgrade

Hello,

I've upgraded to PT12 from PT10. I'm starting to open older sessions from PT10 onto the newer PT12. Everything seems to be opening up fine...

However, looks like the virtual instruments need to be re-mapped since I used many VSTs from SampleTank and such.

My question is: how do I know exactly which sound was used on a specific VI layer in the PT session? For example, all I see now when I click on the layer is the name of the VI library (in this case SampleTank 2.x) along with the message "plug-in inactive"

I understand that I'll have to use BlueCat Audio or something of the like in order to use VSTs in PT12. That's no problem. I just was wondering if there is an easy way to figure out exactly what sound within the older VST library was used on each layer so that I can successfully replace that sound with its identical one in BlueCat Audio.

I realize that one way to go about it is to open up each session file in PT10 and write down the exact sound that was used then go back to PT12 and plug in that sound.

Just wondering if there is an easier way that I can see directly from PT12 without having to go back and forth between versions?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-15-2016, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Re-Mapping VI's after PT Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbarnesiii View Post
Hello,

I've upgraded to PT12 from PT10. I'm starting to open older sessions from PT10 onto the newer PT12. Everything seems to be opening up fine...

However, looks like the virtual instruments need to be re-mapped since I used many VSTs from SampleTank and such.

My question is: how do I know exactly which sound was used on a specific VI layer in the PT session? For example, all I see now when I click on the layer is the name of the VI library (in this case SampleTank 2.x) along with the message "plug-in inactive"

I understand that I'll have to use BlueCat Audio or something of the like in order to use VSTs in PT12. That's no problem. I just was wondering if there is an easy way to figure out exactly what sound within the older VST library was used on each layer so that I can successfully replace that sound with its identical one in BlueCat Audio.

I realize that one way to go about it is to open up each session file in PT10 and write down the exact sound that was used then go back to PT12 and plug in that sound.

Just wondering if there is an easier way that I can see directly from PT12 without having to go back and forth between versions?

Thanks in advance!
I believe you can have both PT 10 and PT 12 installed at the same time. Use PT 10 to open the sessions and note the plugin settings you used. then open in 12 and select them there.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:58 PM

Donald, thank you! I will try that and report back if it works. I didn't know I could have pt10 and pt12 open simultaneously. I thought my pt10 license would be surrendered at time of upgrade. But then I realized the upgrade is for 10, 11 and 12. Good to know I can download both for this VI replacing process. I'll try it out. Thanks again!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I didn't know I could have pt10 and pt12 open simultaneously.
Don't think you can have both 10 and 12 open at the same time.

As Donald said - make a User Preset - "Save Setting As" in Pro Tools 10.

Close Pro Tools 10. Open Pro Tools 12.

Instantiate Plug-In and select your User Preset.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 07-16-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Donald, thank you! I will try that and report back if it works. I didn't know I could have pt10 and pt12 open simultaneously. I thought my pt10 license would be surrendered at time of upgrade. But then I realized the upgrade is for 10, 11 and 12. Good to know I can download both for this VI replacing process. I'll try it out. Thanks again!
You can't have them OPEN simultaneously, but you can have them both INSTALLED on the same system simultaneously. Open 10 to see what your settings were, "Save as" and THEN open the session in 12.