Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-03-2019, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Apple Keynote going

The funniest line from the entire keynote was when they said the stand for the new monitor would be $1000.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:37 PM

6000.00 for the Base Model is going to thin the herd pretty quick !!

and 1000.00 for the Stand .. who are they kidding !!

the 1% can afford this beast .. the unwashed masses will jump ship !!

just my .02

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 06-03-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoolsLover View Post
Come on man, you are always super negative. We all get it’s not Apples to Oranges, we all get in this day and age there are many variables that have to be considered “is it worth it or not”?

Is this overkill for what most of us want to do? Could be. That being said, depends on where the “real world, audio/VI” performance actually lies vs costly systems like HDX, Waves UAD Hardware, which by implied apparent performance abilities either needs an immediate to UAD 20, not 2.

All I’m saying is let’s not be so quick to judge. Being a user for over 15 years, coming from an HD6, that back in the day people said computers it will be a very long time before computers could out perform it, then it was HD Native can’t out perform TDM, and recently HD Native can’t our perform HDX. I’m not taking one side or the other, but history has proven that most of us so called “knowledgeable” have proven to be clueless.

You are shot gunning the same ccomments onto multiple threads. You *are* comparing Apples and oranges. It’s that simple. If you want to have an intelligent conversation about HDX vs native. Then have it. That had been discussed much on DUC recently. Think you were a part of that. If you think a 5x performance claim on an irrelevant benchmark changes HDX arguments from what they are today then explain away... native systems already had more raw processing power than HDX. I expect these large PCIe slot boxes to be used for HDX especially in post houses, wether there is a net increase or decrease in native vs HDX at that high end, I have no idea. I think most folks are pretty good at understanding what they need, and many know HDX is not for them. Again, this 5x claim (guitar amp sims on Logic) is irreverent to anything to do with latency.

I cannot work out what you are saying about UAD. The fundamental issue they have is being an “out of DAW” DSP processing architecture, and snarkilly maybe more useful as a licensing key (hey UAD, release equivalent native versions and I’ll buy them). It’s maybe not even useful to discuss HDX and UAD (or Apogee’s DSP plugins etc) in the same breath, well except if comparing tracking/console performance.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
The funniest line from the entire keynote was when they said the stand for the new monitor would be $1000.
The Register is having fun with this... love that guy’s video comments https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...macpro_itunes/
Old 06-03-2019, 08:27 PM

Default Re: New Mac Pro

Yep, there was a big collective groan in the auditorium when they said $1,000 for the stand for a $6,000 monitor
Old 06-03-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You are shot gunning the same ccomments onto multiple threads. You *are* comparing Apples and oranges. It’s that simple. If you want to have an intelligent conversation about HDX vs native. Then have it. That had been discussed much on DUC recently. Think you were a part of that. If you think a 5x performance claim on an irrelevant benchmark changes HDX arguments from what they are today then explain away... native systems already had more raw processing power than HDX. I expect these large PCIe slot boxes to be used for HDX especially in post houses, wether there is a net increase or decrease in native vs HDX at that high end, I have no idea. I think most folks are pretty good at understanding what they need, and many know HDX is not for them. Again, this 5x claim (guitar amp sims on Logic) is irreverent to anything to do with latency.

I cannot work out what you are saying about UAD. The fundamental issue they have is being an “out of DAW” DSP processing architecture, and snarkilly maybe more useful as a licensing key (hey UAD, release equivalent native versions and I’ll buy them). It’s maybe not even useful to discuss HDX and UAD (or Apogee’s DSP plugins etc) in the same breath, well except if comparing tracking/console performance.
You are by far the most arrogant person on this forum. You’re always antagonistic, you always come across as holier than thou. I’m not gonna get into your childish argument.

If there’s one thing I know about you, as you are an intelligent person, and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to connect the dots to what I’m saying. If you put all of my comments, not just in one particular post, but in their entirety together, you’ll simply find out that I’m suggesting! Yes I am suggesting!!! That, the power of this computer, “COULD” potentially change the game in the DAW world. Meaning, that UAD DSP powered, HDX DSP powered, we can even throw in Soundgrid DSP powered, r freaking anything DSP powered, could all “PROVE” to be, “potentially”, outperformed with even the core Mac Pro. Depending on the users need, if they have a combination of all of these, and this new Mac Pro can actually do what I am potentially suggesting it “may” be able to do based on Apple’s “initial” specifications , then the cost “could be” justified.

All I’m doing is simply asking a question, but for some reason you consider asking that question, to somehow be offensive for some reason. Let me tell you something buddy, you may think you’re the smartest guy in this forum, but I can assure you you’re not the only smart person!!!

Last edited by ProtoolsLover; 06-03-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmusic9 View Post
Yep, there was a big collective groan in the auditorium when they said $1,000 for the stand for a $6,000 monitor
Yes, that price is insane!!! That stand is for the 1% income bracket, it’s as simple as that.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:21 PM

Default New Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoolsLover View Post
Yes I am suggesting!!! That, the power of this computer, “COULD” potentially change the game in the DAW world. Meaning, that UAD DSP powered, HDX DSP powered, we can even throw in Soundgrid DSP powered, r freaking anything DSP powered, could all “PROVE” to be, “potentially”, outperformed with even the core Mac Pro.

Yeah but that’s all before iOS and MacOS become one.

You will have at least 3 cores dedicated to twitter and your reminders app from your iPad and iPhone which tells you your grocery list.

Your other two cores will be for find my friends, not to mention what other nonsense they will work up to bloat the software and erase the line between mobile and desktop

All that aside, I would love to have one, but would never put that kind of investment into a computer, it would be better spent for me on actual hardware
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Yeah but that’s all before iOS and MacOS become one.

You will have at least 3 cores dedicated to twitter and your reminders app from your iPad and iPhone which tells you your grocery list.

Your other two cores will be for find my friends, not to mention what other nonsense they will work up to bloat the software and erase the line between mobile and desktop

All that aside, I would love to have one, but would never put that kind of investment into a computer, it would be better spent for me on actual hardware
I get that for sure. For many of us we are already invested in a lot of gear. Imagine you have not already bought all the various pieces of gear but it’s inevitable.

What would make more sense, and HDX2 that will cost close to 6k Retail, or a new core MacPro?

Perspective, I spent close to 10k on my first HD3, well over 15 years ago. How is this any different?

I’ve got a theory in that too. I’m on HD Native, with a 12 core MacPro, I never run out of processing power as I do mostly audio only work. So the new machine is not for me!!!! Daryl, are you listening???

However, I, without a doubt, am in the minority. Folks are using a lot of virtual instruments, a large volume of tracks, as well as heavy plug-in use, and they could potentially be a valid customer of this particular computer.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yea, it's expensive.. then again, 20 years is a long time and 2500*1,04^20=5478 so it just means they have re-invented the 20yr old price point (assuming 4% inflation per year)
And yet they still continue to sell our songs for 99 cents...