Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Avid

Default Re: Why PT10 is not 64 bit... let's get this over with ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike connelly View Post
But when it goes 64 bit it will be dumping the old plugin format as well as much of the hardware. And now PT runs natively, you can run it without any of that hardware. Until there is a version that supports everything that will ultimately be supported, why not release an interim 64 bit version that can doesn't have that full support for all that hardware but is useful to all the users who are hardware independent?

But if we're talking about what support in the 64 bit version, isn't that list of hardware a lot shorter? And it will exclude some digi hardware that will still work fine with all the other audio apps - they run fine with any hardware that has drivers.

So you're holding back the native version so the guys who spent the most don't get upset. That's your perogative, but that's a marketing excuse, not a reason based on technology.
Ok, I've explained as much as I can and simply don't have time to debate this further. You're opinion is yours to voice, however the facts remain and are in contrary to your opinion whether you choose to believe so or not.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike connelly View Post
But when it goes 64 bit it will be dumping the old plugin format as well as much of the hardware. And now PT runs natively, you can run it without any of that hardware. Until there is a version that supports everything that will ultimately be supported, why not release an interim 64 bit version that can doesn't have that full support for all that hardware but is useful to all the users who are hardware independent?
Dropping support for hardware like you suggest means that they would be dropping support of third parties hardware to. You want them to go back to a closed loop?

Wave-T.com
Old 10-24-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul2550 View Post

By the time Avid gets 64bit working well, Windows, Mac, Intel and AMD will have us running 128bit operating systems.
Don't hold your breath for 128bit - we won't see that commercially until 256bit is happening militarily......
Old 10-24-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
Don't hold your breath for 128bit - we won't see that commercially until 256bit is happening militarily......
Shhhhs.. don't talk about it, you know the men in green are never far.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-24-2011, 05:58 PM

Will a 64bit design resolve muti core CPU issues that plague PT 9 native?? People are clamoring for added memory support when this program can't manage multiple CPU cores. Will 64bit address the random and violent CPU spikes in native right now?? One would hope these things would be addressed in a complete rewrite, but I'm skeptical at this point. PT has far bigger issues than the lack of 64bit support right now IMHO. Works fine til you try to use plugins. This coming from someone with enough processing power in my box to melt the sun!!
  • EVGA P67 SLI
  • Memory, 16gb, DDR 3 @ 1866mhz
  • WD Caviar SATA III drive (O/S)
  • Seagate 1TB , WD1.5TB SATA II
  • UAD Nevana X2
  • Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (MC 2.4)
  • Nvidia- 8800 GT
Old 10-24-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish916 View Post
Will a 64bit design resolve muti core CPU issues that plague PT 9 native?? People are clamoring for added memory support when this program can't manage multiple CPU cores. Will 64bit address the random and violent CPU spikes in native right now?? One would hope these things would be addressed in a complete rewrite, but I'm skeptical at this point. PT has far bigger issues than the lack of 64bit support right now IMHO. Works fine til you try to use plugins. This coming from someone with enough processing power in my box to melt the sun!!
I've been running PT on multi core cpu for a while now.. as long as you keep some for the OS and other tasks, I've never had a single problem

Wave-T.com
Old 10-24-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
I've been running PT on multi core cpu for a while now.. as long as you keep some for the OS and other tasks, I've never had a single problem
Right.

Incompatible/dated plugins can also be a plague on your CPU usage. Plenty of people able to instantiate hundreds of plugins in a session without CPU spikes.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-24-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Ok, I've explained as much as I can and simply don't have time to debate this further. You're opinion is yours to voice, however the facts remain and are in contrary to your opinion whether you choose to believe so or not.
Yeah, after 12 pages of trying to explain what is very clear in the first few posts you just have to let them believe what they want.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-24-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Right.

Incompatible/dated plugins can also be a plague on your CPU usage. Plenty of people able to instantiate hundreds of plugins in a session without CPU spikes.
You must have the touch! i7 sandy bridge on windows is a mess right now. I've tried all the tricks, reserved more than half of the cores for O/S..same deal. I go into any of my other two DAWs, no such problem. I had cpu spikes on a fresh install of windows 7 with only PT 9 installed on my system. No third party plugs. Problem seemed to get worse with each update of PT 9 as well. No Bueno!
  • EVGA P67 SLI
  • Memory, 16gb, DDR 3 @ 1866mhz
  • WD Caviar SATA III drive (O/S)
  • Seagate 1TB , WD1.5TB SATA II
  • UAD Nevana X2
  • Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (MC 2.4)
  • Nvidia- 8800 GT
Old 10-24-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish916 View Post
You must have the touch! i7 sandy bridge on windows is a mess right now. I've tried all the tricks, reserved more than half of the cores for O/S..same deal. I go into any of my other two DAWs, no such problem. I had cpu spikes on a fresh install of windows 7 with only PT 9 installed on my system. No third party plugs. Problem seemed to get worse with each update of PT 9 as well. No Bueno!
Hm I can see a few things there, one the sandybridge (which I'm not using) may be a cpu that is not optimized in a way that PT can use well. Others might be able to better chime on this one than me.

Also are you using any wifi on your computer? IF so deactivate them from the system hardware menu.

Are you using an AV on your computer? If the point above is done, turn the av off. I think it was AVG that for me was causing a lot of spikes in the past due to constantly scanning the information on the Ethernet port, even if there was nothing in it.

Lastly, check the tasks-manager and check the cpu and memory usage. Eliminate any tasks that is not needed by the system.

Wave-T.com