Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-1999, 02:24 PM

Default sync???

I'm thinking of getting 001 for a second system, but can someone tell me how accurate(or if it will sync) the sync will be, by adding something like a motu DTP, as far as locking to LTC, since I'll be midi sequencing on the 001 and will need to lock my songs up to other formats using timecode.
Old 10-25-1999, 02:05 AM

Default Re: sync???

Check some of the threads here re: ProTools le and how it does and DOES NOT work w/Time Code,
since the 001 and the now "upgraded" AMIII will not run the real version of ProTools.

It will lock to incoming code but no timeline or any way to spot to code. Just flying blind.

So You might be locked to code , but you will never know if you are !

What a mess !!!!!!

kasper
Old 10-26-1999, 09:02 AM

A mess? Hardly. What do you want for $999??
I can't believe people think that Digi will
give the same exact features on a $7K system
for $1K. I was actually amazed at how much
of the software was still intact from the
high end. Though I'm happy with the $999
price, I think they could have easily priced
it at $2,000...or closer to other full sytems
like Ensoniq Paris.
By the way, if you want to see time code,
there is a VERY easy way to do it. When you
capture your video, do with BITC on the screen.
KW
Old 10-26-1999, 09:37 AM

Kevin, wake up.

"What do you want for $999?" Let's see, with logic, performer, or vision I can get timecode for a couple hundred bucks.

"I can't believe people think that Digi will
give the same exact features on a $7K system
for $1K." Nobody said they wanted "the exact same features". But you're willing to shell out an extra $6k (more likely much higher) JUST for timecode? You aren't a previous ams audiofile owner, are you?

"By the way, if you want to see time code,
there is a VERY easy way to do it. When you
capture your video, do with BITC on the screen." Nice try. What about people who are using existing quicktime movies? What about people who aren't digitizing, but are locking to a tape machine? What about spotting to time code? What about nudging by frames? Even if you have a window, what good does it do if you can't set an offset for the movie? How can you be sure your burned in time code REALLY matches up with anything?

Frankly, I wish digi would ship the 001 with a full version of protools (or let users upgrade to it), and I'd be willing to pay more for it. But that's not good enough for digi - they're greedy and want "pro" users to drop $10k on a system.

Mike
Old 10-26-1999, 10:46 AM

noisefloor-

You said it all !!

I work on feature length movies. There is no way in Hell i can load all that video onto my system.

Plus no spotting etc.........like I said, You said it all !!

kasper
Old 10-26-1999, 06:52 PM

kevinwild-

I think you are missing the point here.

Digi has taken away the features that many of us have come to depend on. They have crippled AMIII users and not lived up to the promise they made that the AMIII would always be upgradeable and run the same software as any PT system. The 001 will not fill the gap for those that need Time Code and want the ease of using only one software package.

noisefloor is not looking for a "full blown" system at "Light" prices. He states He would be willing to pay MORE $$ for the full version. If You look at the majority of the posts on this forum,so would everyone else. It appears Digi has no use for more $$$$ !!!!

I have a TDM system in the studio and an AMIII system at home. I do sound design for movies on both systems, and yes I get paid for what I do, therefor I am a professional.Does the work I do in the studio, on my "Pro" system sound any better ?? Is my creativity or my engineering skill somehow better or worse based on my location ??

I think not.

You are right, they make no bones about who they are targeting w/this system and "light" software. They are obviously feeling the strain from MOTU , Emagic and the ever increasing list of audio card makers. All of whom have full featured products for a fraction of the cost. What they don't have is the standard that Digi has set, by being the first and by having all ProTools systems run the same software. This has been the key to Digi's success. I know that I can walk into any studio in the world that runs ProTools, regardless of the hardware setup and do exactly what I do on my own system.With the recent changes this will no longer be possible.Having two diff. sets of software will create all kinds of problems.

If Digi wants to compete in this market they had better find another way than this chicken sh*t way. Are they afraid to REALLY compete w/a full featured product, or are they just stupid enough to think people like me are going to suddenly come up w/another $ 10K so they can have two TDM systems, just to work w/Time Code and get the same software ???? This is not possible.

I don't want to bash Digi, well too late for that, because I love the product and don't want to switch to something else. I don't want to see them give up all the $$ and potential customers they are going to be without if they don't fill the $10,000 void they have created. In today's market they can not afford to continue w/this strategy.

kasper
Old 10-26-1999, 08:54 PM

Kasper, I see what you guys are talking about
and I understand your frustration. I guess I
just disagree because I'm not being directly
affected by "losing a feature (t.c.)." I
don't think Digi expects you to go buy another
big system and I don't think they care. They
will sell 50-001's at $1k rather than 5 Full
versions at $8k. I just see it as a dynamite system for the price.

As far as compatability, I think you're
mistaken. Everything that I've heard is that
it will be 100% compatable. Even the plugin
settings will be saved when opening your
project in a fullblown tdm system. That is
what I heard. KW
Old 10-27-1999, 12:51 AM

Noisefloor, I am awake, believe me. I'm awake
enough, as a business owner, that you have to
make moves to maximize profits. I'm sure they
have a business plan that divides consumers
into 2 categories: Pro and Home Studio
Unfortunately, you may fall inbetween the two
and not fit perfectly in their model. Well,
than stick with your other software. The 001
is an EXCELLENT affordable system for $999
and they make no bones about who they are
targeting: Home Studio owners. Do they want
you to have the ability to sound design for
movies?? No...they'll leave that for the Pros.
BUT, if you want 24bit, 24 tracks, Realtime
effects (all via host CPU), well, you get a
great system. It may not be for everybody,
but that's not their intention. If YOU don't
want a Light Edition version, than don't
expect to pay Light Edition prices. Remember,
you get what you pay for and I think this is
a tremendous system for the price. I am in
the t.v. business and have plenty of studios/
friends that have the full blown systems. I'll
gladly pay 10% of what they've paid to get
90% of the features/quality. Just my humble
opinions...Kevin
PS-The glass is half full!
Old 10-27-1999, 08:00 PM

Kevin,
Here is an excerpt from Digi's comparison documentaion between LE and the full version of 5.0.

LE includes: new grabber tool w/ separate, auto-cascade inputs/outputs, new pencil tool, F key mapping of all tools,
improved batch fades, separate edit/timeline selection, new Zoom tools and one-touch settings, and numeric keypad
transport control.

Full Pro Tools includes the following additional editing features: Stationary Playhead, Discontiguous Region Selection,
Command Key focus, Time-compression expansion while Trimming, Clip Replace, Fit to Marks, Fill Paste, and Shuttling
via numeric keypad and more...

IMHO it will be difficult to fight the reflexes of going for those amazing new editing tools when reverting to the LE version.

BTW, LE only supports 24 tracks. I have yet to find out if you can open a session containing more tracks that was created on a TDM system.

E.D.

2022 Mac Studio Max 64GB / 1TB, macOSX 13.6.6, 2019 i9 MacBook Pro (15,3), macOSX 14.4.1, PT Ulti 2024.3.0, DAR 5.1, MDA Creator1.5, Rx10 Advanced, Ozone 10 Advanced, Kontakt 7, Soundminer v6.1Pro, Spanner 4, PaulXStretch,
EuControl 2023.11.0, Avid Control 2023.11.0, Avid S1, iPad Pros 12.9" gen 3 & gen 4, Apollo 8 Duo, UAD-2 Satellite Quad, Glyph 2TB tb3 NVMe SSD, x2 Glyph 2TB SSDs, x1 Glyph 4TB SSD, OWC tb3 Dock, OWC Thunderbay 8 62TB
Old 10-27-1999, 09:19 PM

Kasper I'd have to agree with you. Digi is feeling the pinch from Emagic and Motu and they "Think" they're responding accordingly. All I see them doing is alienating current AMIII users (by taking T/C away) and praying that this new system can compete on name alone. For me, I use PT to fly voxs in and out of the productions I work on. I use it as a tool not a recording studio. Although I respect the strides Digi has made in the DAW market. I still think they are making a major mistake by not standing by their "Always upgradeable policy"